5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

twisted wedge heads????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:38 PM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: twisted wedge heads????

ORIGINAL: myshifter

ORIGINAL: boss429

ORIGINAL: myshifter

Personally I never bolt on an aftermarket head without porting and my own valve job. They might be close in bone stock form but with an experienced porter you wouldnt believe how well the TFS head works, I have about 11-12 years experience with em, so I am partial. I refuse to be a bandwagon fan. All in all they are great street heads, if your ever really serious about doing a serious small block, you can pick up 1 nascar race yates heads and get really crazy.
man theres some really sick SBF heads out there.
i was reading through a book i have about ford engines and performance from around the mid-70's
and they were showing some gurney eagles that you used to be able to buy over the counter from Ford
I'd kill for a set of those haha, they probably go for nutty amounts of money these days.

the custom race heads are just plan dam sick
go to charlotte at the end of the season for the auction, pick up yates heads among all the other nascar used race stuff for pennies on the dollar, an 8k head and intake setup for 1500 bucks, titanium valves for a couple dollars etc...
man that would be intense.
too bad i live in canada and dont have a chance lol
Old 07-10-2006, 01:28 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the Trick Flow top end kit includes the heads, intake, came, rockers, rods, full gasket kit, etc, and can be had on ebay for less than $2100... Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

Yeah, the Trick Flow top end kit includes the heads, intake, came, rockers, rods, full gasket kit, etc, and can be had on ebay for less than $2100... Sounds like a good deal to me.
+1
Old 07-10-2006, 02:15 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I am a believer in the AFRs, I think overall they're a better head.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:45 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

i have the tfs kit on my mustang & love it . summitracing.com sells the kit for about $2100 including shipping/handling. kit also has roller timing gear set, tfs valve covers & aluminum or black up/lo intake also you can change some of the parts to suit your taste such as stage 1 of 2 cam , tall valve covers, etc. talk to some one at summit racing. another thing about this kit every thing fits & works together for better torque & power. oh those roller rockers are adjustable too & the heads have guide plates & stud mount. good luck with any selection you make . tfs also has cnc ported heads now. let me know if i can help.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot guys! if i get the trick flow top end kit i would most likely go with the stage one cam because its a daily driver. also go with the street heat intake? not sure about this, but it has to pass emissions here in IN, and im not sure if the kits is emissions legal or not? and what would be a decent price to get a set of the t/w ported?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:15 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Like most, just an opinion. I do have to admit I like Shifters style...my props to you. But I just read a pretty big article on the AFR's against the TF's, and by the way you can get the TF's cnc ported from the mfgr. I have always been a big fan of TF because they were one of the first to jump into the 5.0 market almost 20 years ago and needless to say they produce some mad numbers. Bottom line is numbers dictate that the Twisted heads flat outflowed the AFR's, not to mention the fact that Trick Flow has a porter that basically has dedicated all of their efforts to the development of the Twisted Wedge head. As a bonus the Twisted Wedge stock cast heads well outflow similar set ups by miles. Not to be ugly but everyone is always excited about the "new" wheel, which is not a bad thing but do yourself a huge favor and read the newest MM&FF and numbers are pretty hard to ignore. And if you want to get Capt. Insano TF offers the R which produces some crazy numbers.

Peace
Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MadMan@TheWheel

Like most, just an opinion. I do have to admit I like Shifters style...my props to you. But I just read a pretty big article on the AFR's against the TF's, and by the way you can get the TF's cnc ported from the mfgr. I have always been a big fan of TF because they were one of the first to jump into the 5.0 market almost 20 years ago and needless to say they produce some mad numbers. Bottom line is numbers dictate that the Twisted heads flat outflowed the AFR's, not to mention the fact that Trick Flow has a porter that basically has dedicated all of their efforts to the development of the Twisted Wedge head. As a bonus the Twisted Wedge stock cast heads well outflow similar set ups by miles. Not to be ugly but everyone is always excited about the "new" wheel, which is not a bad thing but do yourself a huge favor and read the newest MM&FF and numbers are pretty hard to ignore. And if you want to get Capt. Insano TF offers the R which produces some crazy numbers.

Peace
the biggest issue I have is people bandwagon far too much, and to top it off they havent used either head to its full capacity. Use a TFS high port and you will ask yourself, wtf is AFR again?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Wille_D
1st Gear Member

go to charlotte at the end of the season for the auction, pick up yates heads among all the other nascar used race stuff for pennies on the dollar, an 8k head and intake setup for 1500 bucks, titanium valves for a couple dollars etc...
Got any specific dates for this? Maybe some links?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

about the porting- how much would it run to have the t/w's fully ported? meaning both intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: twisted wedge heads????