5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smoke Screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:34 PM
CRIMSYN

Default Smoke Screen

Got a problem guys (and gals) and hope someone can help! Anyways, Im getting a really noticable grayish smoke outta the back of the mustang when Im on the gas after 80+mph. It looks like its coming from the engine since it's dispersion (the whole rear end) and not specifically the exaust (at least i think not, I know I know...how can I tell where its from blah blah blah). My guess is a oil leak ? I have a novi 2000, but dont really think thats the prob! A gasket ? HELP, Im really baffled!
[&o]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Smoke Screen

well if it was the s/c there would be massive amounts of smoke all the time. maybe running rich? run codes.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Mine will do it sometimes at hight rpms...did it more when my timming was off a little.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

if its consistant and always smoking it could be a head gasket... but injectors may need to be cleaned... timing adjusted...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:41 AM
CRIMSYN

Hmm...If it was a HG , then wouldn't it overheat? No fluids on floor...Totally sux! Cant really race without the smoke!
Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

It will only overheat if the part of the head gasket that is blown is near a water passage.....I blew mine between cylinders 2-3 so it was blowing in between those 2 cylinders.....(too much spray blew her).....opps.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
CRIMSYN

Thanks SS, I didn't realize that...I think this isnt going to be a quick fix after all...ugh!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:59 AM
CRIMSYN

BTW: Whats UR take on it? I dont use NOS either.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

Check the back of the motor where the lower intake meets the block (end rail). If you see oil puddling or dripping back there it's either a loosely fitted PVC valve or oil leaking from the rear lower intake gasket at the engines end rail. Also, check valve cover gaskets.
How do you have the tube from the valve cover routed? is it hooked up into the inlet tube or vented into the atmosphere?
If you have excessive blow by, and you have the motor venteding back into the inlet tube of the blower it'll end up out the exhaust as bluish smoke.
Do you see this smoke mainly under boost?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:38 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

You probably have an oil leak....check the valve covers....they are know to leak down the backside of the motor. I dont think you are getting too lean at WOT. Look under your car and see if there is any sludge build up on the back side of the motor...on even on the motor itself. That will be the tell tale indicator it you are leaking oil.

Remember it your Mustang isn't leaking then there is something wrong .....keep me update.....

Easton

Quick Reply: Smoke Screen