5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Well well well, Found the Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Well well well, Found the Problem...

ORIGINAL: 5.0FoxBody

I've been having similar problems w/ this... I was gettin my window motor fixed at my dads car lot alittle while back... left it for the day and when I come back...the mechanic said my fuel pump just happened to go out [:@] so he replaced it. Ever since then...my gas gauge hasn't worked...and if it gets too low (1/4 of a tank) everytime I turn it bogs down real bad and occasionally backfires through the intake...I've gotten to where I just keep it full and never let it drop below 1/2 tank...do you think there's anyway it could be the same general problem??? it's bugged the hell out of me... the other day I was actually parked on a slight hill..sideways...and I try to start it up and it won't... then I realize (due to the sound) that the fuel pump is getting no fuel...so I get it towed to the gas station..and put gas and it starts right up..[:@]
Thats exactly what my car was doing, Wait till your car is almost empty and drop the tank to check the baffle.

Ok ima try to explain this as best I could. The Baffle is almost like a tray or another tank in the fuel tank that keeps you fuel pump submurged in the fuel, even when turning so it doesnt splash around when turning. If its broken its just in the tank (like keeping a pump in a bucket) If it moves around it will cause it to suck up air and have a sudden drop in fuel pressure making the car backfire and pop in intake.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 AM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Nicely said, and I fully understand. Well thanks btw, glad your car is running properly now...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 AM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

So how hard is it to drop your fuel tank?? can I do it alone? or w/ the help of a friend...while the cars on a jack? How do I check to see if the baffle is broken...and if it is...what can I do to fix it?? besides buying a new fuel cell []
Old 07-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yea I droped the tank myself, its a whole lot easier with the tank nearly empty. Took me 30 mins.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:42 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gr84u

What exactly is a baffle, and what does it do? If it is broken, then do I need to get a new tank? Also how do you disconnect the fueler tube.
you disconnect it at the fuel filler car ares (theres a couple little screw-bolt thing inside the fuel filler cap)
and you disconnect it where the neck goes into the tank
and then you drop the tank down a bit, and it takes a hell of a lot of wiggling and maneuvering to get that B!tch out.
at least that's the way i did it.

it worked for me
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0FoxBody

So how hard is it to drop your fuel tank?? can I do it alone? or w/ the help of a friend...while the cars on a jack? How do I check to see if the baffle is broken...and if it is...what can I do to fix it?? besides buying a new fuel cell []
it's pretty easy, theres 2 metal straps bolted to the frame at the front of the gas tank
and they are hinged to the back, so you just take the 2 bolts out while you got the tank on a jack
then slowly let it down, remove the fuel filler neck (explained above)
drop it a little more until you can get at the fuel lines and the connector for the electric pump
disconnect the 2 things and drop the tank to the ground.
i did it myself, probably took me about a half hour as well

mind you this was on my '93 4-banger but it should make a difference i don't think.

the car would turn over like no one's business but no fuel pressure
turns out the screen/filter in the tank on the end of the pump was caked in rust and dirt
so i cleaned it in some solvent and it solved the problem
my float was completely gone as well, and the tank was full of rust and other grossness.
flushed the tank out with some gas, put some wine cork (selling the car so i dont care haha) where the float should be
eventuall found the old float in there, and took it our
bolted the tank back up and she ran just like new