5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

deleting the egr.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
BCP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: deleting the egr.

gladly.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:28 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangfxbdy

leave the vaccum off of it though so it want open and computer wont compensate for inert air when there is non due to the port being blocked off. im just trying to get my intake air temp down by getting rid of the exhaust gases and coolant lines.
Do you have a way of datalogging the ACT?
I would like to see if there is a notable difference as the egr is shut off at wot.

I'm not convinced that the removal of EGR would result in more power.
I just haven't seen anything conclusive yet.

If you have any results, before / after
please post them.

jason
Old 07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

its just cooler intake air temps no true big horsepower gains but the cooler the intake air is the better. getting rid of the exhaust gases then coolant lines equalls cooler air temps cooler air equals more horsepower hence why people by cai's to pull air in cooler air.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

what about the fact that the EGR lowers combustion temperatures to control detonation (and NOX emmisions)?
i wonder if a cooler intake charge is better (worth more power) than the increased timing that the EGR affords us?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

The EGR is not active at wot (so no timing is added there), so its affect on power is minimal.

I have to wonder if the CAI is actually a "performance mod"
I have never seen data to back this up, except for the crap that is published by the companies that are trying to sell them.
Look at the stock intake design; it is a cold air intake.

I think the biggest benefit of a CAI is the smooth intake tubes that don't disrupt the airflow the way the stock intake hoses do.

Here is some reasoning as to why.
Before the intake charge can ignite, it must heat up to a certain temperature. If you run cold air into the intake, then the combustion chamber has to put more heat into the air charge to get ignition. Now that the combustion chamber has given heat to intake charge, it will absorb more heat during combustion. This decreases the heat available to act on the piston (by expanding the intake charge).

The efficiency of the Internal Combustion Engine is highly dependant on temperature (oil, coolant, intake charge, etc.)
Higher temperatures lead to higher thermal efficiencies.
This means more power and better economy with higher temps, until coolant degrades, oil degrades, parts fail, or detonation.
I doubt any of us are pushing any of these limits with n/a motors, assuming good working order.

I only see 2 reasons to actively decrease intake charge temps.
1) Prevention of detonation - mostly for cars with boost
2) Parts/Sensors are failing due to extreme heat.

jason
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

The EGR is not active at wot (so no timing is added there), so its affect on power is minimal.

I have never seen data to back this up, except for the crap that is published by the companies that are trying to sell them.

I think the biggest benefit of a CAI is the smooth intake tubes that don't disrupt the airflow the way the stock intake hoses do.

Before the intake charge can ignite, it must heat up to a certain temperature. If you run cold air into the intake, then the combustion chamber has to put more heat into the air charge to get ignition. Now that the combustion chamber has given heat to intake charge, it will absorb more heat during combustion. This decreases the heat available to act on the piston (by expanding the intake charge).

The efficiency of the Internal Combustion Engine is highly dependant on temperature (oil, coolant, intake charge, etc.)
This means more power and better economy with higher temps, until coolant degrades, oil degrades, parts fail, or detonation.
I doubt any of us are pushing any of these limits with n/a motors, assuming good working order.

jason
you make a good point about the egr not functioning at WOT, but who the hell is talking about a CAI? i was simply weighing the benefits of deleting the EGR (for a colder intake charge) vs having it functioning (to prevent detonation).
also, if you are trying to say that hotter air is better for your engine, then you need to take a trip to the dragstrip. colder air is better.
i'd explain about denser air...more timing...etc. but it's getting late, and this is all common knowledge.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

jason
you make a good point about the egr not functioning at WOT, but who the hell is talking about a CAI? i was simply weighing the benefits of deleting the EGR (for a colder intake charge) vs having it functioning (to prevent detonation).
also, if you are trying to say that hotter air is better for your engine, then you need to take a trip to the dragstrip. colder air is better.
i'd explain about denser air...more timing...etc. but it's getting late, and this is all common knowledge.
The CAI was being used as an example of how other factors get involved without us even noticing at times.
Before you try tell me how stupid I am you should know that I have read a few books on the ICE.
Drag racing has too many variables for me to trust any "drag data"
Dyno data will remove some of those variables, even though there are still variables.
I have never found conclusive dyno data showing that cold air (and no other changes) will improve power.

There is a tradeoff between the colder/denser air, and the corresponding decrease in thermal efficiency. The results of each tradoff will be different for differing motors.
That said, I've not seen proof that colder air is better for power. And since it is contrary to what I know of thermal efficiency, I suspect there is no gain inperformance.

Please don't tell me what is "Common Knowledge"
Most often this just spreads internet myth.
If you have dyno evidence I would love to see it.

jason
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

what about the fact that the EGR lowers combustion temperatures to control detonation (and NOX emmisions)?
i wonder if a cooler intake charge is better (worth more power) than the increased timing that the EGR affords us?
im going to leave the egr alone for now but ive seen several run without and no detonation primeraly you can run a colder plug as i did when i was running a turbo car to prevent detonation. and a good tune you wont have any detonation.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangfxbdy

im going to leave the egr alone for now but ive seen several run without and no detonation primeraly you can run a colder plug as i did when i was running a turbo car to prevent detonation. and a good tune you wont have any detonation.
i agree. since you have the port on the lower blocked, might as well bypass the egr coolant lines. also, as i was reminded by vris, the egr does not operate at WOT anyway, so i feel it is of greater benefit to delete the whole egr system, than to retain it for part-throttle detonation prevention (if you are not worried about emissions)
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

The CAI was being used as an example of how other factors get involved without us even noticing at times.
Before you try tell me how stupid I am you should know that I have read a few books on the ICE.
Drag racing has too many variables for me to trust any "drag data"
Dyno data will remove some of those variables, even though there are still variables.
I have never found conclusive dyno data showing that cold air (and no other changes) will improve power.

There is a tradeoff between the colder/denser air, and the corresponding decrease in thermal efficiency. The results of each tradoff will be different for differing motors.
That said, I've not seen proof that colder air is better for power. And since it is contrary to what I know of thermal efficiency, I suspect there is no gain inperformance.

Please don't tell me what is "Common Knowledge"
Most often this just spreads internet myth.
If you have dyno evidence I would love to see it.

jason
yes, a trade-off. it is my opinion that the advantage of the colder air is 1.denser air and 2.the ability to run more advanced timing without detonation. both of these advantages must provide for a greater thermal efficiency than a hotter air charge. suppose you're right for a second,would the benefit of a hotter air charge really be greater than that of denser air, let alone more timing.
after all, as i understand it, timing plays a much larger role in thermal efficiency than does the temp of the incoming air.
it really is an interesting theory you have, that's why i chose to discuss it further. unfortunately the theory is full of holes.

i wasn't trying to patronize you about the "common knowledge" i was really just trying to sum up. besides, everyone knows that throwing a bag of ice on your intake before and between rounds will produce better ETs. just because something makes sense on paper (your theory apparently) doesn't mean it holds true for the real world. i'm sure there are several dyno sheets to prove that colder air is better, i'm just not willing to go look for them. help yourself.

Quick Reply: deleting the egr.