5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

deleting the egr.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: deleting the egr.

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

yes, a trade-off. it is my opinion that the advantage of the colder air is 1.denser air and 2.the ability to run more advanced timing without detonation. both of these advantages must provide for a greater thermal efficiency than a hotter air charge. suppose you're right for a second,would the benefit of a hotter air charge really be greater than that of denser air, let alone more timing.
after all, as i understand it, timing plays a much larger role in thermal efficiency than does the temp of the incoming air.
it really is an interesting theory you have, that's why i chose to discuss it further. unfortunately the theory is full of holes.

i wasn't trying to patronize you about the "common knowledge" i was really just trying to sum up. besides, everyone knows that throwing a bag of ice on your intake before and between rounds will produce better ETs. just because something makes sense on paper (your theory apparently) doesn't mean it holds true for the real world. i'm sure there are several dyno sheets to prove that colder air is better, i'm just not willing to go look for them. help yourself.
First I appreciate the maturity in your response. Unfortunately that does not seem to be common on the internet.

I keep throwing this out there just hoping that someone can provide positive proof for me.

And yes I have spent numerous hours searching through the internet looking at dyno sheets. There is always some other way to explain the increase in power.

I like your point about ice bags on the intake.
It has been done for many years,
However, I just found out the other day that removing the egr will NOT cause part throttle detonation. It appears that the computer is capable of adjusting for a non-functional egr.
This had been "common knowledge" for a long time as well.

I guess I will keep questioning, and seeing what comes of it.

jason
Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: deleting the egr.

well lower intake is on i didnt block off anything and im going to keep the egr hooked up.