5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wierd slowness

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:33 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

Default wierd slowness

anyone else notice a big drop in power after the car gets warmed up or after u drive it for like 15-20 min.... my car is really fast when i first start it when its cold but feels like it loses about 40 hp when it warms up.... i went from beating a cobalt ss by 1 car to losing by 4 cars? wtf.... and no the driver didnt get better cause we went a got sumthin to eat to let my car cool down for about 90 min..... just so i could see if it really was cause the car was warm.... we went to the same place and raced again and i beat him by 1 car again.... then we drove around for 15 min to warm my car up.... we raced again in the exact same spot and again i lost by 3-4 car length's??? wtf.... anyone know why this is.... its actually very embarassing cause a damn nissan titan hung with me to 100 when i was warmed up...... i have a 1991 5.0 hatch with the mods below.... transmission was rebuilt 6xxx miles ago and does not slip so its not the tranny gettin slippy from bein warm.... is there a way to solve this?? my car doesnt run hot either it runs just below the midway mark on the stock temp meter.... even on the hottest days it never goes above halfway...... it makes me start to believe that foxbody's are pretty damn slow......
Old 07-15-2006, 02:40 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: wierd slowness

Does it still seem to run the same but slower? maybe a drop in f/p. How old is the pump? Do you have cats on the car. They could be clogging on you as it warms up. just a few thoughts.

It's late and my brain is fried. It just took us 2 hours to get home form an O's game tonight that shoulda' only taken 45 min.!!![:@]
Old 07-15-2006, 03:55 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

you know I have the same problem. Im thinking its somethig with my exhaust system cause the engine noise under the hood gets louder with the drop in hp. how about you 91?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:01 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

have you done a koer test to see if its throwing any codes once it is warmed up?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:02 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Ill probaly do it tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:07 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Bad O2's could cause problems w/ the A/F ratio. Also, a dirty IAC or EGR valve can mess w/ some chit....
Old 07-15-2006, 04:10 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

bad o2's is what i was thinking as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:11 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Bad O2's could cause problems w/ the A/F ratio. Also, a dirty IAC or EGR valve can mess w/ some chit....
I just replaced the o2's. Im sure the IAC needs some attention. My smog stuff is gone.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:15 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Maybe your blinding speed makes the blood rush out of your foot causing uncontrollable numbness, so you think you're on the gas, but you're really easing up off it....

[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 07-15-2006, 04:17 AM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

anyone else notice a big drop in power after the car gets warmed up or after u drive it for like 15-20 min.... my car is really fast when i first start it when its cold but feels like it loses about 40 hp when it warms up.... i went from beating a cobalt ss by 1 car to losing by 4 cars? wtf.... and no the driver didnt get better cause we went a got sumthin to eat to let my car cool down for about 90 min..... just so i could see if it really was cause the car was warm.... we went to the same place and raced again and i beat him by 1 car again.... then we drove around for 15 min to warm my car up.... we raced again in the exact same spot and again i lost by 3-4 car length's??? wtf.... anyone know why this is.... its actually very embarassing cause a damn nissan titan hung with me to 100 when i was warmed up...... i have a 1991 5.0 hatch with the mods below.... transmission was rebuilt 6xxx miles ago and does not slip so its not the tranny gettin slippy from bein warm.... is there a way to solve this?? my car doesnt run hot either it runs just below the midway mark on the stock temp meter.... even on the hottest days it never goes above halfway...... it makes me start to believe that foxbody's are pretty damn slow......
why would it make you think that, when you are fast at first then slow when you get warmed up? Obviously its a particular problem plaguing you unless you think you are slow even at first b4 you lose that 40 hp or whatever you are losing....
well i hope ya get it fixed so you dont have to be embarassed with your stang![sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: wierd slowness