5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

walmart and possible backfires?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:23 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

Default walmart and possible backfires?

They sell a generic code checker at walmart, and I get check engine every time I drive the car. Will this thing work just fine on my car? I know you can check the codes using the self check things and all, but I'd rather just get the checker for like $20 if it would work.

also I started my car up put the top down, pulled it about 50 ft, put it in neutral and revved it decently. My friend standing nearby said it sounded like backfiring. Now I'm used to 'backfiring' being like a gunshot, and mine wasn't really like that but there are definetly popping sounds if it isn't warmed up as the engine decelerates. Where should I Start?

I've changed 6 out of 8 plugs, and 6 out of 9 wires, since the last 2 look terribly difficult to get at, and a friend said if he remembered right, he had to take the front right wheel off to get at those. I have had the timing adjusted recently at a shop, before I knew to ask what they set it to. It's also possible since I don't know how far a distributor moves when it's adjusted one degree that I moved it changing the plug wires.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: walmart and possible backfires?

wow. um

firstly, you can use a paper clip to check codes if you know what terminals to use. and if you buy the code checker make sure its for Pre OBD 2 vehicals. and make sure you get a connector for fords. After 1996 everything changed, the connectors are completly different. if its not for pre OBD2 vehicals, you cant use it.

secondly, you shouldnt have to take a wheel off to get a spark plug out. just use a rachet and a spark plug socket. no wobbles, no extensions. should come right out. and if you moved the whole distributor changing plug wires, then your clamp is loose. that means the timing could change by itself, or anytime its touched had enough to move it.

also, make sure your spout connector is plugged in. there should be a wiring pig tail coming off the distributor with a little plug lookin thing in the connector. make sure thats there.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

+1
Old 07-14-2006, 07:39 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

yeah I read the article on the paper clip thingy, I'll go look for the 'spout' right now. I don't know if I've moved the distributor, because I've never adjusted one before, but from what you are saying it's unlikely I did.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:43 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

ill get you a pic of the spout if you cant find it.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:47 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

Yeah I see something coming off the distributor that has a 'cap' so to speak plugged into the end of it. took a picture of it, but I'm too lazy atm to turn on the laptop, shoot pics of it to this machine and upload. any idea on the backfiring/popping noises?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:54 PM
hotstang_88

You could also go to like auto zone they have a diagnostic scanner they usually do it free, it gets the issue narrowed down and you can get parts if need be while your there
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
RMB501

Did you ever figure out the popping/backfiring problem? I have the same problem with my 89 GT.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That 'popping' is a misfire.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

I've heard a bunch of people on here say it's probably the lack of backpressure on my system. I've had a friend think it could be a broken or missing exhaust return from the cats area, and many people think it could be timing. either way, i've got a stripped out oil drain plug so I can't get a oil change atm, and I haven't been driving it or working on it at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: walmart and possible backfires?