5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

coolant in the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: coolant in the intake?

yea thats what i was thinking. my crotch rocket had thin oil with a lighter tint, and i thought it was coolant. it turned out to be gas!

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

ok this has been an ONGOING problem for me for about 5 months and its driving me ABSOLUTLEY CRAZY, i have thought about taking my car to a shop to get them to fix it but all the shops i go to are clueless........need help PLEASE!!!

I have coolant leaking into my oil. and the wierd part is i pulled my upper intake today to change my injectors and the first three intake ports and the last one (from front to back) had a coolant and oil mixture stain on them.....how the hell can coolant and oil get into my intake ports? I thought at first it was the cobra intake i purchased but now i have the track heat and it is doing the same thing. It doesnt seem to be affecting driveability but it is FORSURE a concern of mine. Whenever I check my oil it has a greenish tint to it and it is way thinner. best example i can give is you know how whenever you look at oil draining and the light shines through it and it has an amber tint? Well this has a green tint. I have to run 20w50 in my car just so it will be like 5w30 later on down the road. Changing my oil every month or 600 miles is getting real old.

How the **** is coolant getting into my oil....and how the hell is that mixture getting into my intake manifold???

things i have tried to solve it by

1...changing head gaskets....
2...changing lower intake gaskets....
3...changing my timing cover gasket....

PLEASE HELP.....
I have never heard of coolant and oil mixing and looking like green oil...Coolant and oil mixed turns milky white. Also, it will make your oil thicker.
As far as the oil in the intake runners, I would guess a combo of worn valve guides and seals or bad intake gaskets.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

i thought it would be gas too, but i poured a lil on the floor and i tred to light it but it didnt light. Then I put a little on a spoon (like a crackhead would) and lit a fire under it and it would pop like water in it.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ive already changed the head gaskets....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:28 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dearborn5.0

EGR spacer was my first thought, once you say you replaced the head gasket.....

but you took care of that.

My thought is there is a crack in your lower intake, and vacumn is pulling coolant into the ports. It could be a hairline.

But this does not help you.

Hopefully it would be a seal, but you eliminated that....
i would have guessed this too, but it done this to my cobra intake so i thought it had a crack then i sold it and got the track heat.... what are the odds of both intakes having cracks??
Old 07-16-2006, 07:31 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ok this has been an ONGOING problem for me for about 5 months and its driving me ABSOLUTLEY CRAZY, i have thought about taking my car to a shop to get them to fix it but all the shops i go to are clueless........need help PLEASE!!!

I have coolant leaking into my oil. and the wierd part is i pulled my upper intake today to change my injectors and the first three intake ports and the last one (from front to back) had a coolant and oil mixture stain on them.....how the hell can coolant and oil get into my intake ports? I thought at first it was the cobra intake i purchased but now i have the track heat and it is doing the same thing. It doesnt seem to be affecting driveability but it is FORSURE a concern of mine. Whenever I check my oil it has a greenish tint to it and it is way thinner. best example i can give is you know how whenever you look at oil draining and the light shines through it and it has an amber tint? Well this has a green tint. I have to run 20w50 in my car just so it will be like 5w30 later on down the road. Changing my oil every month or 600 miles is getting real old.

How the **** is coolant getting into my oil....and how the hell is that mixture getting into my intake manifold???

things i have tried to solve it by

1...changing head gaskets....
2...changing lower intake gaskets....
3...changing my timing cover gasket....

PLEASE HELP.....
I have never heard of coolant and oil mixing and looking like green oil...Coolant and oil mixed turns milky white. Also, it will make your oil thicker.
As far as the oil in the intake runners, I would guess a combo of worn valve guides and seals or bad intake gaskets.
new heads (afr 165s) and new gaskets from the lower intake to heads...

this is driving me crazy.....ill get some pics of the oil ill drain some into a bottle and post pics of it....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Do you have egr? Maybe you pcv is sucking oil up in there
Old 07-16-2006, 07:37 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

yes i have an egr....and that might explain how its getting into the intake but doesnt explain why the coolant is there to begin with.....i cant be the first person with this problem
Old 07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I don't think it is coolant, I think it is gas. Are you losing coolant?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

but if it was gas....wouldnt the oil reek of gasoline and wouldnt it be able to catch fire if i held a lighter to it??

Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

but then again it started when i installed my cobra intake e cam and adjustable fpr.....

but if it was gas....wouldnt the oil reek of gasoline and wouldnt it be able to catch fire if i held a lighter to it??

Quick Reply: coolant in the intake?