5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

coil over conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

Default coil over conversion?

I read on some of the shocks/struts whatever ads that they are selling the parts because they went with a coil-over conversion, what is this? how much does it run? how much is the improvement?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:08 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: coil over conversion?

if your seriously racing and need the added infinte adjustbility they are the best, but for 99% of cars, you dont need it
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

ah ok, my plans are to get to where I can keep up with and street race my friend's 350z turbo that has 336 rwhp, turns and all
Old 07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

MyShifter... isnt running a coil over on the front fine for the street?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

MyShifter... isnt running a coil over on the front fine for the street?
ya i run a coil over setup on my falcon chassis car, coil overs have been around for decades, its not new, but the front end setup of the stangs is more than plenty fine for 99% of people. I would spend thst money elsewhere personally. But ya they are fine on the street, any disclaimers you see by companies are typically to keep themselves free of lawsuits from idiots
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Will say this about coil overs, they do improve the ride quality by a huge amount.
And you can run a stiffer spring and not have as harsh of a ride as well.
Coil overs are the ****.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

www.maximummotorsports.com has excellent coil over kit.

supposedly makes your car handle as good any BMW
Old 07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

The reason I ask because I am doing a nice street/strip car (302 supercharged, etc.). I just want to do a suspension that has a nice quality ride (not slamming my head on the windshield when I hit a bump, etc.) but I want something thats going to be able to hook when Im at the track. I wanted to do a full coilover setup but I had a few people tell me it was a bad idea for a steet car and the ride would be horrible if I did that... any truth?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:08 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

No truth quite frankly, plenty of my friends go 10'ohs, 9'ohs on a stock style front end. Trust me when you hit the 12 second zone, you want more, now I guarantee 99% of people will look for more power instead of a coil over front end. When done right the stock style front end works really good, as for harshness well just push harder with your right foot and your thoughts of harshness dissapear
Old 07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

your car will ride and track better. ride quality is all in the spring and shock rates you pick.
the coil over kit still uses springs and shocks just sets them up for better adjustment and such.

best traction is going to be with a 3 link torque arm, imo ( at least for something you want to DD too )

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

The reason I ask because I am doing a nice street/strip car (302 supercharged, etc.). I just want to do a suspension that has a nice quality ride (not slamming my head on the windshield when I hit a bump, etc.) but I want something thats going to be able to hook when Im at the track. I wanted to do a full coilover setup but I had a few people tell me it was a bad idea for a steet car and the ride would be horrible if I did that... any truth?

Quick Reply: coil over conversion?