5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

IM READY TO CRY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:15 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: IM READY TO CRY!

actully i want to do it myself! its just if something goes wrong there is no warranty and then if i dont have them do it im jacked out of the 700! i dont know what to do??
Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I tell you what I WOULDNT do.... I wouldnt take it back to the mechanic. Do it yourself and take the hit. You live and you learn my friend. Its just a learning experience and it happens to all of us. Trust me, a $700 hit is not that big. I took a $4,000 dollar hit when I first got my 88 from a BS mechanic who ripped me off. I never been to a mechanic since!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

WOW!!!! 40000$ HIT thats ridiculous! what was it for?? any help on a trans to get?? where to buy?? anything w/ warranty?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
EADracing93
1st Gear Member

jasper transmissions aren't race transmissions... there just rebuilt transmissions. we put jasper engines and transmissions in cars at my shop all the time becuase they come with anywhere from a 1 year to 3 year warranty!!! so if it ever breaks again... you get a new trans at no cost. yes, jasper does make racing motors and transmissions too, but there mostly just rebuilt stock
Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

I would take it up with the shop owner. You are the customer and even if they are giving you some line of crap about the mixing of old and new parts, they should have given you something (in writing) stating that they cannot offer you a warranty because of it. The $700 has to be worth something to them and to you. Those were your dollars that you invested in their business that they represent. That representation of your cash should be worth a value, that being a rebuilt transmission. If they don't step up to the plate I would kindly ask them to reconsider since you should be one of their valued customers and a great source of positive (or negitive if they choose) advertisement. If they decline to rebuild it again, free of charge to you, I would talk to an attorney or take them to small claims court. Small claims court allows youto ask for up to $5000 in damages (may vary from state to state) without having to argue or hire an attorney. I would include not only the money that you lost but also time lost and wages lost from having to, once again, coordinate transportation from your car not being operable.

80% of times if you file the paperwork, which is SIMPLE, they will offer to give you an out of court settlement or offer to give you less that what you wouel be asking for if they went to court.

I've won every small claims court cast that I've filed. Two times I prolly shouldn' have even tried, but we won.

Money doesn't grow on trees, go get what you paid for Sir,
Ivan

BTW-Sorry I can't spell when I'm mad....I hate businesses sometimes. They just don't get that if they would take care of you, they could get alot of "free" advertisement by word of mouth from a satisfied customer.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

anybody got any ideas on what trans to go w/?? tko?? t56?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

t56!!!! 6 speed baby..... but thatll be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 07-17-2006, 05:03 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, basically I had a mechanic do a full rebuild of my entire car. Longtube headers, h pipe, manifold, motor, rebuild tranny, all mounts and lots of bushings, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I ended up getting ripped off on the trans and everything he did he did it half *** and I had to reinstall EVERYTHING that he already installed. The total came out to like 4K so I got my money in parts (except for the 1,000 tranny that doesnt work.. atleast I dont think so) but I got ripped off on all the labor because he did nothing right and I had to go back and do it myself anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

It's tough to win your money back at labor since most of the time the money has been paid out to the Mechs and there's no way that the owner wants to dish it out of his pocket.

I hate aholes. It makes you wonder sometimes why we aren't better off doing it ourselves right?

I'm a Certified ASE Master Tech, but I haven't forgotten where I came from.
-Ivan
Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

wow that really sucks man... i totally know how you feel! thast the thing w/e me too. i dont care what parts cost, i just dont want to get screwed on labor when i can do it myself. but i need to get some info on some good trannies!! im broke and only 17 so money is an issue.

Quick Reply: IM READY TO CRY!