5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

talk me into an AOD plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: talk me into an AOD plz

yes summit sells transgo shift kits for 120.00 i have it in my aod and it kicks a$$
Old 07-18-2006, 10:50 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i have a 5.0 HO Auto and it goes pretty good, but you have to know where your powerband is and how to compensate at the pedal for when she wants to shift on ya, theres always the 1-D-1 for when your racing, but im consideringa shift kit w/ electronic OD delete for racing when you need and OD's there when your just cruising around. auto is great go ahead and buy it.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You have many options if you go with an automatic. You can stick w/ the stocker and do the usually shift kit/stall. Also, if you dont like the idea of just having the "put it in drive and go im bored" feeling, you can replace the valve body with a street/strip valve body which will allow you to throw it in drive and go OR put it into first and manually hold it along w/ manually holding second. Or just a full blown manual VB also, there are a few options. You could also look into replacing it if you plan on any serious mods. You can get a super beefy AOD w/ a custom stall from Lentech for around $2,300.

Sometimes I do wish I had a 5spd but when it all comes down to it, I am very pleased w/ my auto.

BTW, I had the same problem as you. I wanted a 100% stock, good condition 5.0 and I just couldnt find a nice unmolested 5spd... almost impossible around me.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yea its a biotch to find a 5-speed that hasnt been beaten, grant you its a mustang its gonna be beat'd on, but you kno what i mean. i think i will just go w. an auto if i find one i like, thanks everyone. and another question, is a shift kit something i can install myself? or do i need to take it some where to get done?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Another option, that would probably be cheaper than building up an AOD, just convert it to a manual. Its not very difficult, its fairly inexpensive, and youll have less parasitic loss than the AOD.
I have an AOD in my 5.0 ranger, [:'(]I absolutly HATE that trans[:@], every time I drive my truck I just wanna smash that damn AOD with a 20lb sledge. [:@] .
Thats my opinion on the AOD.
-P.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
GO4URS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Another option, that would probably be cheaper than building up an AOD, just convert it to a manual. Its not very difficult, its fairly inexpensive, and youll have less parasitic loss than the AOD.
I have an AOD in my 5.0 ranger, [:'(]I absolutly HATE that trans[:@], every time I drive my truck I just wanna smash that damn AOD with a 20lb sledge. [:@] .
Thats my opinion on the AOD.
-P.
Let me take you for a ride in my custom AOD-E and you would love it...trust me!!!

Monique
Old 07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i think eventually id prob. do a swap, but for now, if i got an Auto, it would stay an auto for a little while, but this shift kit thing seems to be the way to go. i still dont quite understand the stall tho. so like, if im at a light, and then floor it, it will rev up to say 3k and then engage? so theres that hesitation? or hows that work? sry, im a little new at this trans. stuff.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Go4urs - I bet I would, I was going to do the same thing to my trucks trans, but I just like manuals better, IMO theyre smoother. But if I was going to build a dedicated drag car/truck it would definitly be an auto. That and any chick that drives a stang like yours Id prolly like anyway.
Dimebag- a stall convertor works liek a slipping clutch. Basically, if you have a 2800 stall for example, itll feel like the trans is slipping until 2800 rpm when the TC locks up, then its full on power. It helps with launching an auto car.
-P.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

alright, thanks everyone... i think yall done talked me into it
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
GO4URS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Go4urs - I bet I would, I was going to do the same thing to my trucks trans, but I just like manuals better, IMO theyre smoother. But if I was going to build a dedicated drag car/truck it would definitly be an auto. That and any chick that drives a stang like yours Id prolly like anyway.
I must admit, the fun factor in an auto is definitely not there, but the look that I get when I spank that manual's butt makes it all worth it.[sm=exactly.gif]

Quick Reply: talk me into an AOD plz