5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear Axel

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Rear Axel

the four banger are 7.5 axels like the early 5.0 cars before 86 were. its something like 30 percent stronger for an 8.8? as long as u dont have tremendous power and some slicks ithink ull be fine till u build a new rear!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

a rear bearing wont make it wobble, as the axle is still ridigly mounted to the carrier. a bent rim or axle/ axle tubes will.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

I think I have around 260...and I just have the normal 17' Cobra R's.
I'm planning on going through and rebuilding and fully restoring everything after I graduate from college (which will be around 6 to 7 years) Because then I can get another car and it won't be my daily driver...until I finish it ofcourse
Old 07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

The Axle tubes are the same as well I'm assuming?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

I've got a stock axle sitting directly to the left of me for no apparent reason.
Been there since I snapped an axle last year(this axle was on the other side, still in good cond)
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
foxontheprowl
2nd Gear Member

since I've been thinking about it recently, now seems to be a good time to ask.....

is there an 8.8 in something out there that will be a direct bolt up for my stang?? maybe a T-bird or markVII or somethin like that, wouldn't that make a 5 lug conversion and a set of gears all in one shot a lot easier?? just drop the old out and shove the new in....
Old 07-19-2006, 12:14 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

nothing will have the same track width, you could pull the 8.8 out of a sn95 mustang but the rear is wider than your fox. (1/2 inch per side) it will bolt up with 5 lug, rear disks, and the same lame gear ratios you have now. you just need to run certon wheels to make it work.

a 5 lug swap is easy, grab some ranger axles, the drums and away you go. if you really want to get dirty you can change the gears out by yourself, just reuse the factory trac-loc and put the shims back in the same order. most of the time this will be good. its not to hard but you gotta pray to god the runout is right on the first try case its a pain to pull it apart and try different shims. i dont reccomend doing this but many drag cars are set this way. you still need to check for the wear pattern.

i have found that most gears are noisy not because of the way they were installed but the gear itself. us gear and others i have found to be quiet, the hd richmonds are noisy some times but nearly impossiable to break.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 AM
foxontheprowl
2nd Gear Member

1/2 inch per side doesn't bother me at all, I was just thinking about getting something like 5 lug, disk brakes and gears all in one shot for just a saturday of work.....
Old 07-19-2006, 12:35 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: foxontheprowl

since I've been thinking about it recently, now seems to be a good time to ask.....

is there an 8.8 in something out there that will be a direct bolt up for my stang?? maybe a T-bird or markVII or somethin like that, wouldn't that make a 5 lug conversion and a set of gears all in one shot a lot easier?? just drop the old out and shove the new in....

look for a diesel mark 7 it has disc, 5 lug and 3.73 factory!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:36 AM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

doubt you would want to drive up here but i got one you could use. send me some money and a gear ratio ill build ya a good strong 31 spline rear for cheap.

Quick Reply: Rear Axel