5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

t-5 Conversion PITA

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default t-5 Conversion PITA

My god what a pain in the *** this has been so far, just pulling the engine out now and I removed the clutch assembly out of the donar car (4 hours of fuking around). WAY easier to remove the steering colum from the get go. I should have it running and back together in my other car tomorow will get some vids up. Still running ported e-7's ..........I NEED a shortblock with valve reliefs SOOOOOOOO BAD
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 PM
YamahaBound
1st Gear Member

Default RE: t-5 Conversion PITA

so are you saying if the steering column was removed from the start it wouldn't have been half as bad or? I look forward to hearing about this.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:05 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

man get sum pics up!!!!!! this will help so many people if u post pics!!!!!!!! and plus id like to see!!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

I hated that pedal assembly!! such a PITA!!!! I feel for ya! how are the studs from the front seat feeling on your back??
Old 07-19-2006, 12:39 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah alot more working room if the coulmn is out of the way! also unbolting the clutch pedal is allows for alot more room!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

I hated that pedal assembly!! such a PITA!!!! I feel for ya! how are the studs from the front seat feeling on your back??
I swore there was holes in my back when I was done! I got some towels and laid them down on the bolts which made it bearable.

From the VERY start remove the steering colum and things would be alot easier, I have the pedal out of the doner and the engine back in the car with the t-5 in place right now, calling it a night I was working on it all damn day. I used the link on here in the tech section for the main parts its very useful you have to get under there to really get a grip on things though, when everything is upside down its back asswards...........the only peice of advice I can give is take the steering colum out before anything...................did I mention to take the steering colum out before you begin? hahahahah I am throwing in a Hurst short throw tomorow along with the bbk billet clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster as well. Should be running tomorow but I still cant drive it
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

make sure to break the old plastic quadrant off before install its very aggravating doin it once the pedal is in! just imagine how i felt when i did mine im 320lbs laying in that small space lol
Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Yeah I had to lay down a mud flap from a semi on those bolts (had one in the shop). But yeah, looked at my back in the mirror when I got done and it was nasty, looked like I stay up all night with one of them FREAKY ruff girls, or like someone took the claw end of a hammer and ran it up and down my back for awhile.

Have fun putting it all back it, like rmodel65 said, break off or take off the old quadrant first...the more room the better.

Oh yeah, and before you put it in remember to re-run the speedo cable through a new hole, cuase now the clutch is going to come through where the speedo is now.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:34 AM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

bah its not that bad.... just have to do something about the studs that stick up for the seat mount.... no dice. for me the swap was easy.... but i also did it over the course of a few months
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

i would luv to see some pictures!

Quick Reply: t-5 Conversion PITA