5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car is held up at the shop till i have money

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:40 AM
GO4URS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: car is held up at the shop till i have money

Look on the bright side guys..it will get better!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 AM
foxontheprowl
2nd Gear Member

hell yea, as soon as I'm out of debt I'm gonna go get a brand spankin new motorcycle and be right back in the hole. oh yea, I'll also do all kinds of fun stuff to my stang.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

wheel cylinders are very cheap. right rear, and left rear. for the ultra low doller fix, ask the parts guys about 3/4 replacment cups, you need 2 per wheel. if i rember right a few years ago they were about .75 each. you can replace them easy.

wheel cylinders are cake to repair, when i used to work in the machine shop i must have done hundreds of these (as well as master cylinders). there are only 8 parts to a wheel cylinder. 2 dust caps, 2 metal caps (to press on the shoes), 2 seal caps, a spring to keep them apart, and a hollow metal body. you dont need any toold to bebuild them. to rebuild the wheel cylinder (you can do it on car as well)

1. take the outter dust caps off, they are rubber and kind of snap over the ends.

2. pull the 2 metal cups out of the main body

3. you will now see 2 rubber cups (3/4" in your case) pull these out, they are the seals that need to be replaced.

4. you can eaither pull the metal spring out (if you are going to hone the cylinder) or keep it inside if there are no grooves (most likley)

5. if the wheel cylinder is scored or groved on the inside you will need to pull it from the car and take some emery cloth and hone it out to clean it up. shouldnt take more than 35-40 seconds to do)

6. clean inside with brake cleaner and reinstall. first you put a cup in one side (hollow end in) and put the spring in, the end will go inside the cup. than you put the other side cup in, put the metal cups back in, and snap the dust covers back on.

7. bleed the brakes and you are good to go.

like i said i used to work in a machine shop and part store that delt wilth older vehicles, (20's-70's) and many of the parts were n.o.s and needed to be rebuilt as the seals would dry up over 50-60 years. all wheel cylinders were rebuilt before shipping them out, all master cylinders were tested and 85% were rebuilt, all fuel pumps needed to be rebuilt as well. its actually very simple stuff everyone could learn.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

yeah in a couple weeks ill hopefully be out of debt friday my cell is getting paid off and then the next couple of weeks the bank will be paid off and then ill be able to start working on my car, best part is i get every single part i want for cost since i work in a shop beat that suckas
Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: foxontheprowl

being in debt sux, I feel your pain....scrapin change out of the couch so you can get gas for the last couple days in the week before you get paid......
And by then, you've borrowed so much money that you've spent most of your check before you've even received it. That's my life since I lost my job. I think I'm going back to school.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:54 AM
foxontheprowl
2nd Gear Member

I just might have you beat....it's not car parts but check this out www.usord.com thats where I work.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: foxontheprowl

I just might have you beat....it's not car parts but check this out www.usord.com thats where I work.
haha nice get me something
Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

me to, tomorrow im going to call about getting into the law enforcment program for next year.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i just got out of high school im staying home this year and working in the shop then im going to universal technical institute next fall
Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

make sure you stick to it, i worked right out of high school and ended up having to continue working rather than go to school. now im going back 8 years later, i wish i would have went fresh from school.

Quick Reply: car is held up at the shop till i have money