5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PUSH BUTTON START

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
aabensonae
1st Gear Member

Default PUSH BUTTON START

How hard is it to put a push button starter in a 94 GT?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PUSH BUTTON START

y
Old 07-20-2006, 12:57 AM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

If its a automatic...then not hard...it may involve a lot of labor, but it shouldn't be too complicated.
If its a manual...it will be very hard, nearly impossible. I dont think it will work. Actually I know it wont work.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I put one in amanual before granted it was a 68 datsun so it didnt have the safety switch. Basically all you have to do is put a switch in between teh ignition and the starter relay. That way it will act just like if the key was turned to start it. If you not careful though you'll end up hot wiring it (ask me how I know[8D]). Get y0ou a good wiring diagram and you could easily figure it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
EADracing93
1st Gear Member

not hard to put a push start button in any car. i had one in my rx7. i dont know the colors of the wires used in the 94 mustang, so im going to sort of explain it the best i can (and im not good at explenaining things... i just know how they work). do you know how to hotwire a car? if you do then you can figure out how to make a push button start yourself. basically whats going to happen is you still have to put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the run/accessory/koeo position whatever you like to call it and leave it there... and then you press the button and BAM! so what you need to do is take the wire that would normally trigger the starter (when you turn the key all the way then release it to start the car normally) and run that to the positive side of the button, then find your negative and run it to the negative side of the button. i dont know if i explained it the greatest... but... oh well. if you dont fully understand i would not recommend trying it and hacking up your wiring.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:20 AM
aabensonae
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a plan. I'll have to work on it this weekend when I get some time.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 AM
94RoadRacerGT
2nd Gear Member

My brother has an 02 WRX and he has a push button start in it and his it is a manual with the clutch saftey still functional. I think he has it set up like EADracing93 explained.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 AM
kilobyte
2nd Gear Member

it should not be that hard. if i was you tho i would pay someone to do it. it can be done in a manual but you have to remove the safety if you want to do it without using the cluch (one thing tho is it not legal to do tho) or you can do it where it just acts like your key
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Got one in my '91 and it's got the manual in it.

It was there when I bought it so..?.. I dunno, but it can be done. It looks to be wired to the soleniod on the fender.

-Ivan
Old 07-20-2006, 03:15 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like a cool idea the button but what for? You still have to put the key in the ignition. It's not like the new Vettes that the key needs to be in the vicinity for the car to work. But if you get it done post pics plz.

Quick Reply: PUSH BUTTON START