5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I'm the only one...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So I'm the only one...

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks Mikey. The thing is, it does it even when I'm mashing the clutch through the floorpan. Also, even when it doesn't lock me out of first, I often feel a certain <b>notchiness</B> when putting it in first. I feel this notchiness once out of every, say, five shifts.
Notchiness I believe is a traight of the T5, mine feels like every day, every shift, unless I double pump the clutch.
By the way, mine only feels notchy putting it into gear at a standstill. Every other shift is like butter--even downshifts into first.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Incidentally, I took it to Aamco, and the shop owner (who also drives a 5.0) said that it is completely normal. What should I believe?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

i believe it is a problem with the syncros as they get older, the t5's in s10's do it as well.
mrbigshot is right. Its just the syncros. They aren't even necessarily going bad. Just not lining up. By pushing the clutch in and essentially double clutching, you are lining the syncros up and hence able to slip in "like butter". Just something to deal with in a 5spd, but no worries. Aamco was right to, completely normal, and nothing to worry with.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

Incidentally, I took it to Aamco, and the shop owner (who also drives a 5.0) said that it is completely normal. What should I believe?

I have the same problem not all the time but here and there. It's normal. I know it's not the clutch cause I just a new one. I know it's not the cable cause I just got a BBK quadrant cable. Reverse is the worse one some times to put in. I get that problem on first but it's rare. I've noticed it happends when I'm driving lazy. I push my clutch in but in won't go in. If I push all the way in it slides in or I have to pop the clutch out and push it the clutch back down again. This is my 3rd 5.0 and my other one did as well. One was auto so no problems there.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawk

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

i believe it is a problem with the syncros as they get older, the t5's in s10's do it as well.
mrbigshot is right. Its just the syncros. They aren't even necessarily going bad. Just not lining up. By pushing the clutch in and essentially double clutching, you are lining the syncros up and hence able to slip in "like butter". Just something to deal with in a 5spd, but no worries. Aamco was right to, completely normal, and nothing to worry with.
I like that answer the best. So long as I can run it for a couple years as a commuter, I'm happy. After I get my Master's degree, I'll be rolling with the likes of Pro50.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chuy1988

I have the same problem not all the time but here and there. It's normal. I know it's not the clutch cause I just a new one. I know it's not the cable cause I just got a BBK quadrant cable. Reverse is the worse one some times to put in. I get that problem on first but it's rare. I've noticed it happends when I'm driving lazy. I push my clutch in but in won't go in. If I push all the way in it slides in or I have to pop the clutch out and push it the clutch back down again. This is my 3rd 5.0 and my other one did as well. One was auto so no problems there.
Thanks Chuy. Yeah, like Hawk said, it feels like something is not lining up some of the time. His explanation makes sense. Before I changed my tranny fluid, it never happened...or maybe once the whole time I owned the car. It's only happens somewhat regularly every time I've changed my tranny fluid (twice so far). At any rate, thanks again.