MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Should I just get an LS1? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/155565-should-i-just-get-an-ls1.html)

stanger88 07-22-2006 05:58 AM

Should I just get an LS1?

I have run a best of 14.4@97.8 with a 2.15 60' (1/8 was something like 9.3@76.5 or so) The ET does not concern me, thats my fault and the crappy street tires I was on. The 97.8 mph is pathetic though.

We have gone over the car top to bottom including compression tests (avg 150psi per cylinder with +-5 being the extreme difference/Motor is a brand new long-block from Central Coast Mustang and has about 15K miles or so on it.)

The ONLY thing we have come across is the Holley 670 Street Avenger does not seem to be fully opening up. I have a 575 Barry Grant arriving Monday morning and HOPE!!! This will wake the car up. As it is, after 3500 or so rpm, it just doesnt do much but make noise, it revs clean enough, but just without the sick conviction that is should.

Here is my mod list, opinions are welcome. I love the fox bodies, but if it takes this much work to run mid 14's, I should have stuck with being a GM man.

FMS aluminum DS
UPR tubular upper/lower control arms
Probe forged pistons
GT40P heads
10.5:1 compression
4.10 gears
TKO500 transmission
FRPP Strut tower brace
50/50 lakewood shocks
4-way KYB AGX struts
245/60/15 cooper cobra gt's
670 CFM Holley Avenger
Holley Red Pump
1989 140mph speedomoeter
MSD 6AL ignition
MSD Pro Billet Dizzy
MAC shorty headers
BBK X-pipe
Flowmaster force II cat-back
Steeda full length subframes
3-core radiator
Stainless flex-a-lite fan
Underdriven crank pully
X303 cam
1.6 aluminum RR's
Edelbrock RPM Intake
Mallory return regulator
Upper/lower tq box reinforcements
New quad shocks
2.75" cowl hood
High volume oil pump
King Cobra clutch
Adjustable billet clutch quadrant
Billet flywheel
Audiovox CD player
TKO short throw handle
Moroso Valve covers

3500# or so race weight according to DOT scales.

Again, I think the issue is the carb, but I just want some opinions, is 14.4@97.8 all my combo is good for???If so...want to buy it? because if thats the case, im going back to GM and hoping they will forgive my errant ways.

0hOneGT 07-22-2006 06:02 AM

RE: Should I just get an LS1?

That is A LOT of mods for mid 14s

stanger88 07-22-2006 06:05 AM

With all due respect, NO SH&T!!!!!! and that is why I am ready to throw the whole Idea of a mustang out the window and go back to the dark side where I came from. At least with my Trans AM, girls liked the car, and it actually performed as advertised. This mustang does nothing for me at this point other than slurp gas and make me feel like a retard when my friends say "we told you they sucked"

HC_CrAzYHoRsE 07-22-2006 06:33 AM

lol my stang ran that when it was stock, there's definetly something wrong with it, find the problem and fix it.

EDIT: wait a minute, you have a holley carb and an edelbrock RPM intake ??? [&:] hmmm...what's up with that ?

stanger88 07-22-2006 06:40 AM

The only thing I can think of is the carb. I went from pulling an 00' A4 Z28 75-105 by 1 car on the freeway EFI (ran like crap) to pulling those times carbed. We think the carburetor is not opening fully on the back barrels. We have ordered a 575 BG mechanical carb and this SHOULD! put me back where I belong in the scheme of things.

I am just looking for opinions as some ppl say that this is all a 302 is good for and its hard not to belive them :( I dunno, just VERY pissed off at having spent 15K and having an almost show ready vehicle with all these new parts and being better off with my 95' 170K mile trans am (I know my mustang will never handle or look half as good as it did, but at LEAST it should be faster dammit :( )

If indeed it is the carburetor, I shall once again be happy with the thing, if not, I fear a certain insurance company and a random oak tree will hate me for a very long time.

I just dont know how it could be this slow, then again, my friend has the same setup EXACTLY except LT's,Trickflow WEdge heads, and 3.73's instead of 4.10's and an electric fan and better suspension and he ran 13.9@101 and he catches the same laughter from GM owners I do. He has the SAME EXACT CARB (670 Holley Street Avenger with yellow spring in secondary pod) and I know he should be 12's, he also has no power over 3-3500rpm and I think fully it is my carb

I just wanted to make sure I had not been mislead by a bunch of people trying to sell me crap and built a total turd.

Does Not Exist 07-22-2006 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: stanger88

With all due respect, NO SH&T!!!!!! and that is why I am ready to throw the whole Idea of a mustang out the window and go back to the dark side where I came from. At least with my Trans AM, girls liked the car, and it actually performed as advertised. This mustang does nothing for me at this point other than slurp gas and make me feel like a retard when my friends say "we told you they sucked"
I bet it attracted the really nice girls.:eek:
http://www.justthefunny.com/images/R...20(Bottle).JPG

stanger88 07-22-2006 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

lol my stang ran that when it was stock, there's definetly something wrong with it, find the problem and fix it.

EDIT: wait a minute, you have a holley carb and an edelbrock RPM intake ??? [&:] hmmm...what's up with that ?

Edelbrock makes a MUCH better manifold fit/finish than Holley and they bolt up just fine...I will soon have a Edelbrock manifold and a Barry Grant carb, lol.

stanger88 07-22-2006 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: boostin95cobra

ORIGINAL: stanger88

I bet it attracted the really nice girls.:eek:

Lol, no arguing it, the 4th gen trans am is sex on wheels compared to a mustang. I like the foxes, but it has NOTHING on my old TA as far as sex appeal and I doubt you could find any girl in her right mind to say otherwise. People always asked if my TA was an 03 or 04, lol. Always thinking it cost 40-50K too. Crazy how inflated their view of it was.

Does Not Exist 07-22-2006 06:44 AM

stupid internet...makin me look bad.[:@]

Does Not Exist 07-22-2006 06:45 AM

nevermind:(