5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Funny Fix: valves/engine chattering

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default Funny Fix: valves/engine chattering

okay, so i guess my valves are chattering.. ugh. how hard is this to fix? or should i have someone do it? is this something i need to look into immediatly or will it be alright if i leave it alone for now? the noise is quite aggrivating.. your imput is appreciated.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: valves

first make sure its not loose rockers or pushrods making noise. Could also be lifters chattering. and if the valves are floating, it means your springs are worn out and you definatly need to do something about it as soon as possible before you break a head off a valve or have it pull through its keeper or something worse. If they are floating you just need to rebuild the heads on it. Cause thats the best way to go on that.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:24 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oh and i forgot...how many miles you got on that thing dude?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

only 82,000
Old 07-22-2006, 05:30 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: valves/engine chattering

so this is serious? like it starts chattering when i press on the gas pedel. is this an expensive fix? if i did have to get the heads rebuilt how much would that be? expensive/not too bad? and would it be worth it to get them ported aswell? and how much extra would that be? thanx
Old 07-22-2006, 05:46 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Are you positive its your valves? Usually valve chatter is them bouncing off their seats, thats a very very bad thing. It usually ends up breaking a valve or a piston hits the valve because it bounced as the piston nears TDC. If its been doing this for a long time, its probably not your valves, the springs shouldnt have already gone out at only 82,000 miles unless you hit 6K off every stop light. Its probably your rockers arms, do you have stock style rockers, the bolt down type or the stud mounted rockers? When valves start bouncing, stuff breaks pretty soon after that...

at about what rpm does it do it?
Is there any power loss with it?
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oh and check ur oil...if the hydraulic lifters arnt getting a good supply of oil, it can make them noisy and not work properly.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

no i am not positive its my valves but thats what my friends bro told me.. its just some kind of chattering when i touch the gas. but i have red lined it a couple times but only like 2wice. it just started a couple days ago (2or3) and its not that loud but its still noticibly there .. and yes my engine is completely stock except for exaust. so i should check the rockers? is this an easyish fix?

and i just checked it the other day and added some (1 quart) so it should be full

i also havent changed my fuel filter yet and idk when it was last changed.. would this have an effect?
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Are you positive its your valves? Usually valve chatter is them bouncing off their seats, thats a very very bad thing. It usually ends up breaking a valve or a piston hits the valve because it bounced as the piston nears TDC. If its been doing this for a long time, its probably not your valves, the springs shouldnt have already gone out at only 82,000 miles unless you hit 6K off every stop light. Its probably your rockers arms, do you have stock style rockers, the bolt down type or the stud mounted rockers? When valves start bouncing, stuff breaks pretty soon after that...

at about what rpm does it do it?
Is there any power loss with it?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:05 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

If they're floating, which i dont think they are, they would do it in neutral, get a buddy to stick his head under the hood while you rev it a little bit, not alot, maybe to 4 or close to 5K. That'll tell you what you want to know. As far as rockers, they're bolt down types then. So just go through them with a torque wrench and torque them down to 25ft lbs. If it goes away then thats what it was.

But again man, about what rpm does it start at? Thats a big clue.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:18 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

its more in the lower rpm. like when im cruisin at above 1500 and i push on the gas. i dont notice it much up in the rpm

Quick Reply: Funny Fix: valves/engine chattering