5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Electrical help needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical help needed ASAP

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

follow that wire! It should go directly to the starter switch. make sure. it should be a red and light blue wire.

make sure that larger spliced wire isnt connecting to any other device.
That wire does go to the starter switch. As far as the added section it is basically cutting the red and blue to make A and C and then the section is B and it just combines to make A+B+C and then goes inside the car.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

you followed that wire back inside the compartment to the ignition switch under the steering column?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:56 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

you followed that wire back inside the compartment to the ignition switch under the steering column?
I followed the wiring diagrams which show that is where it goes. We have checked under the dash more times than I can keep track of to check for any exposed wires. We have not found any underneath there unless they are hidden in the wiring for the alarm she has installed.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

were going to get to the bottom of this!

is the solenoid secured against the frame?

Old 07-24-2006, 06:53 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Yes it is. I have made numerous new holes with self tapping screws to hold it solidly in place.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

can you take a picture of the solenoid?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

can you take a picture of the solenoid?
Sure can. When I get home from work in a couple of hours I will take a picture and post it. It has a total of 5 (two pairs with fuseable links and one loose for the power) wires on one side and one wire on the other side for the starter and then the little red wire at the top. If you look down from the top of the solenoid the 5 wires are on the right and the one is on the left with the switch 12v at the top.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

I gues the best thing you can due is just run a high powered switch into your cabin and skip the solenoid... That would be the best, but unsafest way if you never find the fix. I just got done reposting about my starter solenoid, just blew an hour ago, and realized that it must be a bad ground. I myself also got a cheap one from autozone, hopefully I will get to the end of this myself.
Anyhow, I would check your grounds, perhaps even replace that wire to the ignition switch.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

how close it to your coil and strut tower? may be some arcing going on???
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gr84u

I gues the best thing you can due is just run a high powered switch into your cabin and skip the solenoid... That would be the best, but unsafest way if you never find the fix. I just got done reposting about my starter solenoid, just blew an hour ago, and realized that it must be a bad ground. I myself also got a cheap one from autozone, hopefully I will get to the end of this myself.
Anyhow, I would check your grounds, perhaps even replace that wire to the ignition switch.
Well I am thinking that the best way to do this may be to run a brand new wire from the solenoid to the ignition switch. As far as a high powered switch I do not think that will keep the solenoid from blowing out. I have quite a few things to check but my gut is telling me that it may be in the column somewhere as far as where the short is concerned.

Quick Reply: Electrical help needed ASAP