5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how much tranny and rear end fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default how much tranny and rear end fluid?

i'm FINALLY getting my gears in next week, but my mechanic wants me to bring the fluid that i want to use in the rear end and tranny (i'm changing out the drive gear, and have to refill it after). royal purple is pretty good right? Are any other brands good or better? Also, how much of each will i need to fill my T5 and 8.8" rear end?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how much tranny and rear end fluid?

get the limited slip additive for the rear end... you'll need 3 qts for the rearend and i believe 10 qts for the tranny. i used the red synthetic stuff from sumitt... i heard bad stuff about royal purple... i dunno though, gears may have been installed wrong, u bought ford racing gears i hope? get the trac loc rebuild kit and install kit too while your in there you may as well replace axle bearings, seals, etc. and rebuild the trac loc clutches. It's up to you though if it doesn't need any of that stuff then you'll be set. What gear ratio did you get.... 3.55 manual, 3.73 auto?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

my t5 took about 2.5 qts to fill.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:02 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

get the limited slip additive for the rear end... you'll need 3 qts for the rearend and i believe 10 qts for the tranny. i used the red synthetic stuff from sumitt... i heard bad stuff about royal purple... i dunno though, gears may have been installed wrong, u bought ford racing gears i hope? get the trac loc rebuild kit and install kit too while your in there you may as well replace axle bearings, seals, etc. and rebuild the trac loc clutches. It's up to you though if it doesn't need any of that stuff then you'll be set. What gear ratio did you get.... 3.55 manual, 3.73 auto?
i got the rear end rebuild kit from summit, it has all of the bearings and stuff for a complete rebuild, so hopefully i'll be all set there. Yeah i got ford racing 3.73s, i have a five speed manual. I didnt get a trac loc rebuild kit though, do you think i would need it? I have 95K on the car, but i beat the sh*t out of it. Does autozone sell something like that? He's starting on it this weekend so i dont have time to order something from summit. Thanks for the tips on the fluid though, i'll check and see what they have other than royal purple.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Summit is in Ohio and I live in NY and i order on monday and have it on wednesday... not sure where you live but there turn around time is awesome the part # is FMS-M-4700-B, costs $45. Do you do a one wheel burn out? If so then you need it.

The rear end fluid I used also form summit was # RED-57904 $8 ea, the rebuild kit should come with trac loc additive.

Good luck, good choice and great mod!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

is it factory ford modifier? that stuff smells like a cross between a dead rat and a biffi. they should really ship it with a closepin.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

Summit is in Ohio and I live in NY and i order on monday and have it on wednesday... not sure where you live but there turn around time is awesome the part # is FMS-M-4700-B, costs $45. Do you do a one wheel burn out? If so then you need it.

The rear end fluid I used also form summit was # RED-57904 $8 ea, the rebuild kit should come with trac loc additive.

Good luck, good choice and great mod!
i live in maine...i guess if i ordered it today it would be here. when i do a burnout both wheels spin though, so i guess i dont need to do it yet.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

yea it is and it (friciton modifier) smells awful... if your hooking up good on pavement your probably ok.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:21 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

you can get any rear diff fluid from advance auto/autozone i reccomend 75-90W due to the cold in the NE and it sits all winter... jmo though
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

um Royal Purple should be the only oil used in your rear end.

it promises to add hp using it and it is dynoed and proven at the track. So yes use it.

Quick Reply: how much tranny and rear end fluid?