5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

3G: Fused Finally

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 PM
reefblue93

Default 3G: Fused Finally

4 years ago I installed my 95 amp 3G alternator. Great improvement, have had no problems at all with it. Unlike the stock 75 amp alternator that craps out every 2 years and doesn't have enough amps to run anything besides the engine. Been reading posts and decided I should a fuse on that power wire and increase the gauge just in case the unthinkable happens.[sm=badbadbad.gif] Untill today, this 10 ga wire is what I had for a power wire from the alternator to the solenoid.

I now have 4 ga cable with a Bussman fuse holder w/100 amp fuse. Here is the link for the fuse holder. I got mine from the local Napa. bussman fuse holder
I used the Bussman fuse holder, A Napa 100 amp wafer fuse, a 19" and a 49" switch to starter battery cable 4 ga. All together about $30.00.

It was a little hard to find somewhere to mount the fuse holder, but ended up with the drivers side fender behind the strut mount. Had to use a spacer to mount the holder straight. I will be working on a black molded plastic piece to make it look better in the future.

Picture of the solenoid where the cable was attached coming from the fuse holder. It had two nuts on it, but due to the bigger cable, I had to take one off then use it as a partial double nut on the solenoid stud.

Picture of the back of 3G alternator. Had to change the end of the cable to fit this connection, only one that didn't fit without major modification.

Thank you to all the fellow stangers on here for their help on this topic.:flag:
Old 07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
sgt_pepper17
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 3G: Fused Finally

75amps isn't enough to power anything but the motor... what the hell else were you running? There are two different Ford alternators, big case and little case. The little case tend to be 61 amp and the big case tend to be 75 amp. First, are you sure you had the 75amp alternator? Second, TWO YEARS!?!? I had one for 4 years and it kept goin. Had it not been for a short on the return wire it would have lasted indefinently. Third, WTH are your running that you need more than 75 amps?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

lol, still got my original 17 year old alternator chug'n away on there.

with just 95amps you're fine with stock set-up
most places recommend upgrade if you step up to the 130-150amp ones
but not for 100amp.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:36 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Mine is original too and it powers motor, fully loaded p/w, p/l, A/C, and a CD player w/ aftermarket speakers and lights, etc.

I dont understand your dilema, maybe you have a wiring issue, or are you one of those oversized ghetto boom boxes(huge stereo)?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:05 PM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

the alt upgrade is a good upgrade for anyone. Gives more power to your charging system, extends battery life, less power loss while running accessories, you can run pullies more efficiently without power problems.

Reefblue, you wired it directly from the alt's rear screw to the solenoid? Did you follow the instructions on the Corral for the 3g alt upgrade, soldering it into your stock wiring? I noticed that they don't mention a fuse even though the Taurus that I stole my power cable from had a 175 amp. Where do you put the fuse?

Is it supposed to be on the alternator's main wire (rooting from the screw?) or is even necessary if you solder it into your existing wiring? I started this already and the car is in the yard at home in the middle of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:09 PM
reefblue93

You asked what else I was powering. Headlights, Rear Defroster, Defrost/Fan, Radio with amp/subs. This is not new news. Fox mustang owners have been upgrading to the 3G for some time because the stock alternators don't have the amps at idle to handle this. Yes, I had a 75 amp alternator because that is what the parts store sold me. With the 3G, the volts don't drop at all. I am happy you have no problem with the stock alternator, but you are in a minority. I have no wiring issue and if I choose to have subs for bass than that is my perogative. I posted this message in hopes of helping fellow stangers and you guys just ridiculed why I needed a 95 amp 3G alternator. Geez, get a freaking life.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
reefblue93

ORIGINAL: 93foxgt

the alt upgrade is a good upgrade for anyone. Gives more power to your charging system, extends battery life, less power loss while running accessories, you can run pullies more efficiently without power problems.

Reefblue, you wired it directly from the alt's rear screw to the solenoid? Did you follow the instructions on the Corral for the 3g alt upgrade, soldering it into your stock wiring? I noticed that they don't mention a fuse even though the Taurus that I stole my power cable from had a 175 amp. Where do you put the fuse?

Is it supposed to be on the alternator's main wire (rooting from the screw?) or is even necessary if you solder it into your existing wiring? I started this already and the car is in the yard at home in the middle of it.

Sorry about the pictures not working, here they are. Yes directly from alternator to fuse to solenoid. The original plug is still attached, no need to cut off. The stator wire has been tapped and is plugged into the alternator. This way, in a bind, I could go back to the stock alternator. I used a 100 amp fuse for the 95 amp alternator in a Bussman Fuse holder. I had just seen a post about the Taurus, cool find on the fuse holder. Thanks 93foxgt for understanding why the upgrade is such an improvement.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:23 PM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Well, that's the thing. I couldn't pull the fuseholder. Damn thing was huge and it was connected to the battery holder.

So you used your stock oval plug, left the spade connector there, but tapped it for the stator plug also? How did you find the main alt line back near the solenoid? Or did you wire it there? Yeah man, I hear ya.

I don't even have a sub or anything like that and the alt upgrade is a good idea.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Relax reef we were just rying to get a lil more detail, we are not saying that your wrong for doing so we were just seeing why you needed to thats all. I am well aware of the upgrade to 3g Alt's when neccesary.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

im looking to buy the same alternator because my volts drop to where my car dies, when my radiator fan kicks in. Can I just use the 3g alternator, or do you need a bigger gauge wire and fuse?

Quick Reply: 3G: Fused Finally