5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Anything I need to know

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default Anything I need to know

Hopefully PRO50 and Stevens91 will see this and help out as well as any other good 5.0 guys and gals. Since I am a new 5.0 owner...is there anything I should be aware of? Such as weaknesses in the Fox bodies, definite mods I should do? I want the car to sit low and still be able to hold it's own on the street. I have a 2001 GT, that is my 1/4 mile and stoplight car, but I want a different "look" for the coupe.

The car I bought has the 5 lug conversion, but has drum brakes on the rear. Is that a big deal? Also, I have Strange adj. front struts and rear shocks on my '01, are they a good idea on the Fox as well? The car is a bare bone LX model but does have cold A/C, which is nice.

Sorry, for the long post, but if ya'll can shed some light on what to expect and also help me out along the way, I would appreciate it. And by the same token, if ya'll ever get a 4.6, I will be there for ya....LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Anything I need to know

One other thing, I replaced the alternator with a 95amp, because the UDP's were killing my charge. I tried using a 95 alternator, but the shaft was too long.
Twister
5th Gear Member

oh come on, you know better....is it a T5 or an AOD? From my experiance, BOTH are a weak link. Also, chassis stifeners are a good idea. What do you want to do with this car?
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

The motor has forged JE pistons, forged Eagle h-beams, forged Scat crank, Trick Flow o-ringed heads, 1.6 rr's, ported/extruded Trick Flow intake, 75mm MAF, 30# injectors, 1" intake spacer, UDP's, Optima red top, Ford Racing shorty headers, BBK O/R h-pipe, dumped Flows, King Cobra clutch, BBK springs and forgive me for being 5.0 ignorant an "F" cam which he said was a little mild street cam. He also said if I go to a bigger cam to get the 1.7 rockers??? scatter shield, 3.73's and a new 3550 tranny

i think you got everything [8D]
Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

One other thing, I replaced the alternator with a 95amp, because the UDP's were killing my charge. I tried using a 95 alternator, but the shaft was too long.
um, ditch the underdrive pulleys, even with a larger amp alt, it will cause alt issues
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Twister

oh come on, you know better....is it a T5 or an AOD? From my experiance, BOTH are a weak link. Also, chassis stifeners are a good idea. What do you want to do with this car?
The car will be a streetable toy for the weekends and occassional drive to work. I have cars coming out of my A$$, so I don't have to depend on this car as a DD.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Yeah, suspension is def next on the list w/ strange products as well.

Gears, exhaust. Maybe some lowering springs. Pretty much the same stuff you would do w/ your other cars. Weakness, rear main seal. I still run the drum brakes on mine and don't really have a problem w/ them I would rather spend the money in other areas.

Then let the bolt ons fly!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ok, again, what do you want? street/strip? canyon carver?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Yeah, suspension is def next on the list w/ strange products as well.

Gears, exhaust. Maybe some lowering springs. Pretty much the same stuff you would do w/ your other cars. Weakness, rear main seal. I still run the drum brakes on mine and don't really have a problem w/ them I would rather spend the money in other areas.

Then let the bolt ons fly!!!
It has shorties, BBK o/r H-pipe, dumped 2 chamber Flows and 3.73's. You recommend something different
Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Twister

ok, again, what do you want? street/strip? canyon carver?
Street/strip. Carving corners gives me the shakes....LMAO