5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Aftermarket clutch quadrant...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Default Aftermarket clutch quadrant...

Ok so when I put this trans in I went ahead and got an after market billet quadrant. Well it had 2 places to connect the cable to it, I chose the farthest one from the tranny. Well yesterday I was bored, waiting on people to show up, and with the car off I pushed in the pedal about 5 times in a row. Then it made a quick popping sound, and now I have half the range of motion with tension.

It feels like the cable popped off and moved to the second hook. I mean the clutch still engages, it can still drive and go into all gear without more than usual difficulty, but instead of using the complete range of motion of the pedal its about half.

Anyone know what the second hook is for? And possibly how the cable popped off and moved to the other hook?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aftermarket clutch quadrant...

If it slipped to the next one, it probably wasn't tight enough. If it still works okay, I wouldn't mess w/ it. Did you get an adjustable cable or firewall adjuster?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

How hard was the install Mikey? I just ordered mine. Did youn use the firewall adjuster? Do I need one?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:33 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

I dont have a firewall adjuster, but I wish I had got one when I did the install.

Install for me was easy cause I put it all on when the pedals were out of the car, but It doesnt look like it would kill ya to do it from underneath. Just take out the seat and go to town.

Yeah if it was that that moved Im lucky it grabbed the second hook. But I still havent looked at it to verify that thats actually what happend. I would have thought if it was loose enough to come off the hook that it wouldnt of even came close to the second one. I dunno Ill check it out tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

How long you think it will take me? How far up the dash is it?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:35 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

I dont think it should take over an hour or two. its all the way up at the end of the pedals.

Well I found out my REAL problem. I checked the quadrant and that wasnt the problem, looked at the firewall were it goes through and the black sheeth on the cable has moved back some but still not the problem...look down at where it attaches to the clutch fork and there it was, one strand hanging on for dear life. The damn cable broke like all but one strand of wire is broke off.

I was just under it like 3 days prior and everything was intact and fine so I dunno wtf happend. Cable isnt even old, it was installed new in december along with the clutch and tranny.

Oh well, I wanted a firewall adjuster anyway, so now I guess I can get a new cable...any suggestions? Not gonna buy the same one again, hell it didnt even last 15,000 miles.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I can get a pic of how far up it is tomarrow. Ive got the dash out of ours right now. Its almost to the top. Ours has the UPR triple hook in it and when we did the clutch install the cable sliped to the second hook an we couldnt get the fork cover on. We are going to fix that now since we just have to reach right beside the steering wheel to get to it.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

I got it done.

Very simple, I also got the adjustable upper part. Boy it helps alot. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

the guy who i purchased the car from did something wrong which warped the pressure plate which made the clutch stiffer and it was causing the cable to dig into the sheeth. so make sure you follow the instructions
Old 07-29-2006, 02:01 AM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Whats a good cable to get? I got Summit Racing's cable and quadrant kit last time. What would you guys recommend, RAM or BBK?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket clutch quadrant...