5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Considering buying an '86 5.0...what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 AM
dpritch87

Default Considering buying an '86 5.0...what to look for?

Hey everyone. First off, let me say that I'm new here, and this is my first post. Yes, I know how to search, but I couldn't think of anything to search for that would be related to this question. I apoligize if you get threads like this all the time. If this is a common question, then kindly link me to threads that have answers. Now, I'll continue.

I'm thinking about buying this '86 LX coupe. Actually, I'd be trading it for my '99 Camry, but I won't dwell on that. Before I waste my time posting redundant details about it, here's a link to the ad:

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/184784815.html

As you can see, it's in great shape cosmetically. And with 75k original miles, it's not bad mechanically, either. I drove it tonight and I really liked it. I've always been fascinated by Mustangs, and after driving this car, I feel like it's the right thing for me. There are also some nice perks...it has a great stereo in it, a hidden cutoff switch for the fuel pump, an underdrive pully (not installed), and an extra set of rims and tires for the snow. (I live in Colorado.) There are a few problems, though. He told me that it leaked oil out of the rear main seal...how hard would that be to fix? I'm also going to want to install some aftermarket shift equipment, because I like a short throw and a soft clutch. (Which this car definitely does not have.) Got any recommendations for what to get? It needs new tires as well...the rims are 16x7" all around. Not sure about the exact size.

Anyway, onto my main question. Are there any problems that these cars are notorious for? In other words, is there anything I should look for, or expect to have to replace right away? Before you say it, I know it's a rust-free car, so I'm not worried about that. Thanks for any help you can give me.

P.S. - Does anyone know if there are any kind of Mustang clubs in the Denver area?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Considering buying an '86 5.0...what to look for?

damn, it looks good.

OK, the downside, the heads suck at top end, great off the line, but hey, that is fixable with some money. I have an 86 with 312K on it, the orrigional engine went 237K. As for the wheels, they gor for about $600-1000 for the set, keep them! There are a few clubs in CO, and a few 4 eyed guys there too, check out www.foureyedpride.com I say buy the car, it is unique
Old 07-28-2006, 05:06 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

damn that is an amazing car !!! id buy that in a heartbeat!!! so sexy
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

i like what he labeled the car when he posted the pic's- accident prone 86
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 AM
dpritch87

Haha, yeah, I forgot to ask him about that. I'm almost positive it's never been wrecked, though. Anyway, I'm not too worried about top-end power right now...I plan on turning this thing into a road racer of some sort. That is, while I will probably take it to the strip occasionally, I'm more concerned with how it handles than I am with straight line power. Oh yeah...how much are electric fans for these cars? The stock fan that's on there right now is apparently not working right, so the car runs fairly hot.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:44 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

whoops wrong thread haha
Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 AM
shakes
2nd Gear Member

That's an amazing 86 notch. I'd pay that for it no problemo.

Mind you that car in Canada could sell for 10k.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:43 PM
dpritch87

Yeah, it's a great car. But my question still hasn't really been answered...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

ask the guy to start up the car, stand outside and make sure there isnt any smoke coming out of the exhaust. Looks like you dont have a problem but look at the undercarriage for rust, alotta times cars can look great up top, and you look at the bottom and it seems like 2 different vehicles. I would highly suggest a carfax report just so you know what you're getting into and there arent surprises. You already drove it so you know how it drives so thats a plus. (if the 86's dont have this sorry, i just bought a 93 so maybe this will be useful). MAKE SURE ALL THE POWER STUFF WORKS AKA POWER LOCKS, WINDOWS, ECT!!! If they dont thats good for you, use that to your advantage and try and lower the price. Thats all i got right now, im a noob but im trying
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
86 GT 5.0
3rd Gear Member

ya thats a really nice car. yes MAKE SURE U CHECK THE FLOOR PANS. i had that problem and had 2 replace them. thank god my bro is a really good welder.

Quick Reply: Considering buying an '86 5.0...what to look for?