5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installed New Radiator... Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed New Radiator... Problem

I would approach this is this manner:

1. Be sure the radiator is seated all the way down into the brackets at the bottom.
2. Remove radiator if its not fitting and check the dimensions against a stock radiator.(Length width and depth)
3. If the dimensions are not the same then you either have the wrong radiator or need to do some modifications to make it fit.
4. DO NOT CUT the fan blades, its balanced on the fan clutch, take the shroud off and trim as needed, i wouldn't recommend completely removing it though.
5. Spend $150 bucks and go to a radiator shop and get a radiator that is dimensionally correct for your setup. (3 core copper/brass)
6. Leave the fan in until you have an electric fan to replace it or else your ride will overheat. Flex a lite or Black Magic Fans are good.

Good Luck
Old 07-28-2006, 04:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

I would approach this is this manner:

1. Be sure the radiator is seated all the way down into the brackets at the bottom.
Its definetly snug as hell.

2. Remove radiator if its not fitting and check the dimensions against a stock radiator.(Length width and depth)
I went to do that last night but when I did I picked up the stocker and spilled antifreeze all over my entire garage, got pissed and threw it away

3. If the dimensions are not the same then you either have the wrong radiator or need to do some modifications to make it fit. I definetly just need to do some mods.

4. DO NOT CUT the fan blades, its balanced on the fan clutch, take the shroud off and trim as needed, i wouldn't recommend completely removing it though. I wouldnever completly remove my fan... that would be pretty retarted
5. Spend $150 bucks and go to a radiator shop and get a radiator that is dimensionally correct for your setup. (3 core copper/brass) Hell no Im not spending another $150 when I have a brand new $150 one in my car now lol
6. Leave the fan in until you have an electric fan to replace it or else your ride will overheat. Flex a lite or Black Magic Fans are good. I have heard tons of negative things about black magic fans, etc. I heard the Taurus fans were one of my best options.

Good Luck
Old 07-28-2006, 04:15 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I think you have a $150 radiator thats not meant for your car... but hack away. Flex a lite also good, but I'm not familiar with taurus fans... good luck.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

I think you have a $150 radiator thats not meant for your car... but hack away. Flex a lite also good, but I'm not familiar with taurus fans... good luck.
That could be a possibility. They said it was a direct replacement though so I dunno.... Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

does your hood close without hitting your rad?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yup my hood closes fine. Everything fits normal, etc. just the fan is hitting on that little hump on the bottom right hand side (if standing overtop looking down into the schroud/fan)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Personnaly I consider direct replacement a drop in part, meaning no mods,cutting, adjustments, etc. I replaced mine last year with a direct replacement 3 core and it dropped in like a beauty, I've heard about places giving replacement radiators that are "close enough" to the original simensions and specs. I just hope you didn't get the shaft from the radiator shop.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

What shaft are you talking about?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

The one were they bend you over and then send you on your way... knowing they f'd ya.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

What were you budgeting to spend on the electric fan? Here's an idea....get your old radiator out of the garbage and sell it, sell the radiator you got in there now. Take the money from those two items, put that with your electric fan fund, and order a matched set from Afco. I paid $397 to my door for the aluminum radiator, custom shroud and heavy duty electric fan combo. If it cools my nuclear reactor, your car should run ice cold.

Quick Reply: Installed New Radiator... Problem