5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam and head questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam and head questions...

AFR's [:@]. Why does everyone pimp their heads??? Theyre good and all but TFS are better IMO, for 2 reasons. 1- the valves are slighty askewed, which helps give it a straigter shot to the cylinder, and 2- you can run up to a .550 lift cam with out flycutting. As for a cam, screw the letter cams, theyre good "generic" cams, but getting a custom grind thats specifically designed for your motor will be MUCH better. Itll be a little bit more expensive, but well worth it. Just my .02
-P.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 PM
88Stang331
1st Gear Member

Is it a street car or mostly strip?

If its street your going to want low/mid power...so i would suggest AFR 165's and a TFS R Intake and TFS Stage 1 Cam

If your looking for more strip time, i would suggest TFS TW 185's TFS Stage 1 cam and TFS R intake.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

AFR's [:@]. Why does everyone pimp their heads??? Theyre good and all but TFS are better IMO, for 2 reasons. 1- the valves are slighty askewed, which helps give it a straigter shot to the cylinder, and 2- you can run up to a .550 lift cam with out flycutting. As for a cam, screw the letter cams, theyre good "generic" cams, but getting a custom grind thats specifically designed for your motor will be MUCH better. Itll be a little bit more expensive, but well worth it. Just my .02
-P.

Custom cams are bad *** but he's going to be running the 302. I think it will be wasting his money unless he was to do a 306,331, or a 347 then I would recommend he would get a custom cam. As far as AFR heads go's every one pimps there heads cause I there good quality heads. Not saying the others aren't just AFR has a great reputation not just for 5.0 but for the LS1's as well. Just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys but this isnt a 'what will get me into the 12s' thread...just want some advice as to what heads, cam, and headers to run.

My car is a dd so its street mostly.

So if anyone cam suggest good heads, lumpy idle cam and headers for a high 12 car itd be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

Thanks for the suggestions guys but this isnt a 'what will get me into the 12s' thread...just want some advice as to what heads, cam, and headers to run.

As far as headers go BBK ceramic coated long tubes or BBK equal length headers are my favorite. I like Bassani too but are kinda expensive. I personally don't like Mac. Good luck on your car.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Will long tube headers require me to change my exhausr at all? h pipe with high flow cats and super 40 mufflers?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

Will long tube headers require me to change my exhausr at all? h pipe with high flow cats and super 40 mufflers?

Exhaust no as far the H pipe or X pipe yes. You gonna have to he a short H or X pipe.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

-P.
It's because the AFR heads are proven to provide more power. The amount of cam lift is just a difference in design, it does not make one better than the other. Cam Duration is what makes the majority of the power anyway, not lift, so you're better off going with a larger duartion cam than you are a larger lift. If you look at the port quality between the AFR and TFS heads you will see a HUGE difference in quality...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

okay...so what cam would you all suggest? keep in mind i would like a lumpy idle...i love that.

seems pretty obvious the AFRs are the suggested heads =)
Old 07-28-2006, 10:04 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

okay so I have decided that AFR 165s are out of the question (too damned expensive) unless I can get a used set. What is a cheaper, possibly sub- $1,000, good alternative?

Also, any suggestions on a good low-mid power cam with a lumpy idle?

Quick Reply: Cam and head questions...