5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Intakes

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

OK to get a more real world idea, about how much real hp will an intake swap add, and then how much real world hp would a head swap produce. Also, what are some good sites or brands of heads to check out? Any recommendations on a mild cam, not looking to produce massive hp, but if I do a head swap, then the cams gonna come out to, any suggestions on a mild to light cam would be appreciated. Also, if I do a head swap or an intake swap, I'll have to upgrade to 24lb injectors right, or will my stock 19lbs work? Oh, my MAF is 70mm frontal opening, same as my old sixer, but what's a good aftermarket MAF for these types of setups? Sorry for all the questions, but my direct knowlege about these kinds of mods on 5.0Ls is limited, although I know exactly what needs to be done for a sixer, but the 5.0L is a whole different animal.
Swapping the intake will give you 5-10 rwhp. Swapping the heads opens up a whole new car.... Depending on the heads, say AFR165's or TW's, you'll get 50+ rwhp and then any mods you do will add more since the engine can breathe better. So w/ heads, your intake will probably add 10-20 rwhp assuming you have full 2.5" exhaust. YOu'll find lots of info searching old threads.

BTW, you want to measure the back of your MAF to see the true diameter...the stocker has a 55mm hole thru the midddle of it, but the rest of it is bigger.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

ORIGINAL: Dath

What casting identifications separate a used original Cobra intake and the newer chinese versions?
the new Chineese ones have ports that do not line up like the American ones, and there is a Ford Racing logo on the EGR area of the crappy ones, not to mention the MADE IN CHINA on the bottom of the upper....and no, THEY DO NOT FLOW THE SAME!
Thanks bub. Wanted to make sure I had an original. Another question, would polishing the Cobra intake allow it to breath enough to support 450-500hp? I know there are better intakes available, but I need to keep this looking slow. Hard enough as is to get people to race.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

IIRC the Cobra intake is rated to 350hp.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

IIRC the Cobra intake is rated to 350hp.
Yeah. Beleive thats if you leave it alone. Can I work it to handle 450-500hp though?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you should be able to. Check out Tom Moss Porting
Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Thanks man

Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

there is alot of good info on this site
Old 07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i would check into the tf street intake, holley systamax II, or edelbrock rpm for ur application and a trickflow stg1 cam
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

I have the Edelbrock Victor intake, and I am very happy with it. I also have the Nitrous Express plate system sandwiched inbetween upper and lower, and it flows very good. I have worked Edelbrock performer heads to go with the combo. Heads definately make more power if you can spend the extra money.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

looks like u have a very nice set up TAPOUT
ORIGINAL: TAPOUT

I have the Edelbrock Victor intake, and I am very happy with it. I also have the Nitrous Express plate system sandwiched inbetween upper and lower, and it flows very good. I have worked Edelbrock performer heads to go with the combo. Heads definately make more power if you can spend the extra money.

Quick Reply: Intakes