5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Labor estimates on installing sfc's + more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Default Labor estimates on installing sfc's + more?

I have coming....

Weld in SFC's
Upper and Lower control Arms (rear)
Springs
Shocks
Torque Box plates

I can't do this stuff myself (..not to mention I have no lift, and no welder or the skills to use one!). Two questions: Should I go to a body shop or a mechanic? What do you all think the 'labor' charge is going to be for installing all of the above????

I'm going to 'attempt' to sweet talk whoever I go to and explain that since they have to remove the control arms to install the torque boxes, it shouldn't matter that they are putting different ones back on! (etc.). Hopefully this will keep the price down!!!!

What do you guys think on the price????
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Labor estimates on installing sfc's + more?

I would go to a performance shop. Where do you live again?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:38 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Northeast PA, about 30 miles SW of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.

I was thinking a body shop might pay more attention to making sure the car is 'straight' when installing the components. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Not too many (reputable) 'performance' garages around here. I do 'know' a guy who own's a body shop that I did a 'favor' for awhile back...and he does good repair work. I had him in mind as my first estimate. Just wondered what you guys thought.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I think I would check out a shop that does that kinda thing on a regular basis. Fabrication/frame shop.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:48 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

I'll get some estimates....

I've read and read these forums and am trying to follow the advise I've found... 1. Upgrade suspension, 2. Move on to making more power.

Money is a concern, but I'm at an age where I realize 'good things come to those who wait' and I'm not in a hurry to get my list done! If it takes a couple years....so be it. When all is said and done, I should have a fantastic car!!! ;-)

Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 AM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

+1 on pros suggestion...........any guy that can weld is not the right one..........do it right the first time.

And your also right (tcwc) you have to have a good car before you start doing all kinds of stuff to it. I JUST got my 5.0 running right and I bought it in December of 05.............I have the trans right, engine is running tight and i added a few mods (U/D pulleys and MAF) but I am setting it up for the future. Hell I am kind of enjoying it now knowing its close to stock so I know I eventually will get bored and get some upgrades..............4.10s coming and shift kit, intake etc.........but the more time I spend on this site the more I enjoy my car and spend more time looking for the RIGHT mods and not just go on a few peoples suggestions.............Take your time. I am sure you will have the car you want and then some and not go broke for two years or so......

Thats why it will take me 30 years to build my car!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Just an quick semi-update. I talked to a gentleman i know (who owns the body shop). I told him what I wanted to do and asked his advise. I trust this guy and have done business with him for 10+ years. He said if he did the work (sub-frames and torque boxes), it would be done on the frame machine to ensure everything is straight. I agree. I didn't get his estimate yet, but he's going to call me.

I asked if it would be cost effective for me to have HIM install the upper/lower rear control arms, shocks, and struts after welding in the SFC's and torque boxes and he said it wouldn't be hardly any extra cost since he would remove the factory ones to do the work anyhow. This makes sense to me.

I think if I can afford his fee, I'm going to have him do it. I'll post the price when he calls to see what you guys think.

Cheers!