5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pistons backwards!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:23 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pistons backwards!!!!

Alright, im an idiot... i read this entire thread an still dont know what the hell ya alls talkin aboot... [&:] How in the hell do you install a piston backwards???? Me thinks youd need an overhead cam for that...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:29 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

if you believe that your just as stupid as the guy that gave you the info..
now with that said .. they make was is called a reverse dome piston..which pushes air toward to spark plug for better combustion
Old 07-30-2006, 11:38 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

if you believe that your just as stupid as the guy that gave you the info..
now with that said .. they make was is called a reverse dome piston..which pushes air toward to spark plug for better combustion
Thanks, i'll feel smarter next time when someone talks about installin pistons backwards...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:39 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

I'm here to educate you all
Old 07-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMan@TheWheel

Question... With all the trouble it would take to tear your motor down, why in the f*** would you waste time reversing a piston? Why would you not throw some 9.5:1's or 10:1 off in that beeyatch and make more power. I think, just an opinion that some people sit around and dream up crap instead of just doing it right the first time. Personally, I think the guy is an idiot and so is anyone who wastes his/her time doing that. The only advantage I could see is if you were in a class that required ALL stock lower end, in which case you can build the top end to the hilt and leave the lower end alone. I have never heard of reversing the piston.

I have been around engines my entire life, and have never......I mean never seen an "offset" rod, you have either
A: A floating pin (rod is actually heated, stuffed inside the piston and the wrist pin is driven through the piston body and through the rod, when the rod cools it becomes in essence an integral part of the wrist pin)

B: You have an isolated pin with a floating rod (the end of the wrist pin bore has "C" clips to isolate the wrist pin, but the rod itself is bushed and allowed to move on the pin).

How in the hell would you offset a piston if you just read what I wrote?

My $.02

^+1
Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

dont believe half of what parts guyz in stores say....
Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Crump_4
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hayden

I was talkin to a guy today and he said that on a stock 5.0 that you could turn the pistons backwards and claims that if you do head work also, that you could push about 500 HP... does anyone know if this is true???
whoever told you this has smoked waaaay to much weed!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:36 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

88STANGARUU; lotsa years ago when I ran an NHRA 'stocker' we had to use the original pistons.
It was a common practice to turn the pistons around to help the rod angle a little.
We saw very little from this, about .05 off the ET. So I would say it helped some but it wasn't anything more than maybe 8-10HP but over in that world every little bit helps.
Also have to remember that big block Mopar has some real long rods anyway......
Old 07-30-2006, 02:50 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

The only thing ive heard of even close to that is that you can change the firing order on the 5.0. It was in a Hot Rod article. It was showing how you could change a Chevy to a Ford and Ford to a Chevy. In some cases it picked up like 5-10HP. This maybe what hes talking about.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

88STANGARUU; lotsa years ago when I ran an NHRA 'stocker' we had to use the original pistons.
It was a common practice to turn the pistons around to help the rod angle a little.
We saw very little from this, about .05 off the ET. So I would say it helped some but it wasn't anything more than maybe 8-10HP but over in that world every little bit helps.
Also have to remember that big block Mopar has some real long rods anyway......

In racing you'd take the floor pans out to let the gas pedal go down further, lol. Old hot rodder tricks are somtimes some very un-usual things, lol. I didnt believe alot of what i heard when i first heard it. Cant be closed minded in racing though, you wont make it very far. Hell, at the track on the weekends id be willing to do just about anything if i thought it'd make me go faster.

I mean back in the 1950's when racing was in its infancy, people would modify/ create their own stuff, there was no aftermarket to just order up some goodies, you got your *** out into the garage and sweated until you figured something out.

You guys google the backwards piston idea, you might be surprised.....

Quick Reply: Pistons backwards!!!!