5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pistons backwards!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:11 AM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pistons backwards!!!!

well ive never heard this, atleast of people doing it on purpose. but i know if you put hem in backwards, your gonna beat the hell out of the bocl at the bottom of the cylinder walls. plus i dont se how you could gain power from it, would you loose it considering youd be running a smaller compresion ration? some one please correct me if im wrong, i just dont see how you could gain power from this.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordboyyfm

well ive never heard this, atleast of people doing it on purpose. but i know if you put hem in backwards, your gonna beat the hell out of the bocl at the bottom of the cylinder walls. plus i dont se how you could gain power from it, would you loose it considering youd be running a smaller compresion ration? some one please correct me if im wrong, i just dont see how you could gain power from this.
why do you think it would be less compression? there is no reason for the compression to change at all.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

because technically the piston wouldnt be coming up as far. the piston pin os off centered, if there on the right way the rod and pi are closer to the inside of the block, you flip it around it will be on the outside, there for the piston would be a bit lower at tdc, so less compression, not much but it would be less.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

so basically by installing a piston backwards and having to cut reliefs into a piston crown, you're turning a non-interference motor into an interference motor... what a waste of time and energy.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
EADracing93
1st Gear Member

ACTUALLY the best thing to do is put the whole piston and rod assembly in upside down. take some jb weld and jb weld the top of the pison to the crank, then duct tape the rod to the piston so it stays still and doesnt slap around. now, drain the oil out, and fill the oil pan back up with peanut butter and jelly. and now your ready... fire that bad boy up!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

^Fixed
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

because technically the piston wouldnt be coming up as far. the piston pin os off centered, if there on the right way the rod and pi are closer to the inside of the block, you flip it around it will be on the outside, there for the piston would be a bit lower at tdc, so less compression, not much but it would be less.
Technically, it makes the piston dwell at TDC and BDC a tad bit longer, meaning more time for exhaust gases to get out and more time for intake charge to get in = more power

And on stock 5.0 pistons, its double valve reliefed. So...there goes that, and anyways, most engines that use bigger cams your going to have to cut the existing valve reliefs even deeper, so nothing changes there either.

so basically by installing a piston backwards and having to cut reliefs into a piston crown, you're turning a non-interference motor into an interference motor... what a waste of time and energy.
Well, someone who wants to wring every last hp out of an engine, its definatly not a waste of time and energy. Especially in some racing classes where your Cubic inchs are limited, like pure street in the NMRA, they're limited to 310ci, which is basically a 302 bored .60 over.

Hey Guy's; remember that I was doing this in about 1979.....
I'd sure like to know what 'tricks' are being used nowadays for stocker to get 'just a little' more........
I've got some ideas/thoughts that I won't post about but it all comes down to real chicken sh-t machine work/balancing....
Remember, it's a good idea to know how to make a 'stocker' work before throwing down $$$$$ ONSTROKER KITS, HEADS, CAMS, and stuff...........
Totally agree'd, if you can build a 400hp N/A 302, imagine the possiblities with a 347, or even a 393. It takes more talant to wring hp out of smaller motors than it does just throwing a stroker kit in a block with some high end aluminum heads. Not to mention, i think its funner. Definatly teaches you loads on what and what not to do to an engine.

I saw on another forum where some guys were in a competition to see who could go the fastest with a 306 and some E7's. I was reading (and these guys are serious racers, old time hot rodders) and they were talking about how they were getting into the mid-10's and low 11's on just garage ported E7's and making a tad bit over 400hp on them totally N/A. Now if that isnt just sheer talant and innovation id love to see it.