5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

remember coolant in the intake....???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

Default remember coolant in the intake....???

So i had my car at THR and everything was going fine, the car started backfiring on the way up there so i had them take a look at that before they started the tuning, and well needless to say all hell broke loose.

stock pushrods are no bueno......i was told i could use the stock pushrods with the pedestal mount AFR heads...they were designed for use with stock componets...NO!

stock pushrods bent screwed up the guides in the head broke the rocker arms and shoved the lifter into the lifter bore and wedged it between the cam and the block.....[sm=headbang.gif]

luckily it happened at THR and i had just got a nice lil texas lottery ticket....they are fixing everything....

just thought i would share this with everyone and let everyone else know NOT to use stock pushrods......blah

Whenever they reassemble everything it should take care of that coolant in the oil leak (we had the oil tested at a lab here and it was coolant not gas)

luckily i had the money from the lottery tcket, but there went my dreams for a supercharger (for now)

Car should be done around aug. 15th or so. [sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: remember coolant in the intake....???

man that sucks... but it's great you had the lottery to pay for it let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

that sucks, AFR does "recommend" harden pushrods with their heads

I made sure to get a set of these when i bought my 165's
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...ew=1&N=700+115
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

So i had my car at THR and everything was going fine, the car started backfiring on the way up there so i had them take a look at that before they started the tuning, and well needless to say all hell broke loose.

stock pushrods are no bueno......i was told i could use the stock pushrods with the pedestal mount AFR heads...they were designed for use with stock componets...NO!

stock pushrods bent screwed up the guides in the head broke the rocker arms and shoved the lifter into the lifter bore and wedged it between the cam and the block.....[sm=headbang.gif]

luckily it happened at THR and i had just got a nice lil texas lottery ticket....they are fixing everything....

just thought i would share this with everyone and let everyone else know NOT to use stock pushrods......blah

Whenever they reassemble everything it should take care of that coolant in the oil leak (we had the oil tested at a lab here and it was coolant not gas)

luckily i had the money from the lottery tcket, but there went my dreams for a supercharger (for now)

Car should be done around aug. 15th or so. [sm=gears.gif]

ok went by THR yesterday after work and the cam was safe[sm=happy046.gif]....nothing happened to the cam, and the heads look fine. They said they should be done with it by this weekend, and have a nice tune on the car with some dyno numbers. [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

I dont know why, but it is a fact of life... ya get a handful of money an make plans, but before ya can spend it somethin else comes up... it suks, but at least your getting your car fixed... [:-]
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Like you said, at least it happened there AND you had a lotto ticket. A bad situation doesn't get much better than that!!!