5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Wyotech

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Wyotech

i lived there in laramie..for automotive,hot rod fab,and bussiness its like 28g for auto motive,chasis fab,like 23g..its exp..but one of the best schools in country...not alotto do there and is very colddddddddddddddddddddddd...and woman are not to kind usually for tekers///// but is cool place if u getto know folks,,,.i might still go.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:47 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

My best friend went to wyotech, he loved it.
I unfortunately, chose to go to UTI.
THE BIGGEST F&%KING mistake i've ever made.
UTI is a good school to go to if you know VERY little about cars. I had 4 years of HS automotive and welding, so when i went to UTI, let's just say i was a bit bored.
The MSAT programs are good, but you need to be a TOP student to get into them. If you are late to class 3 times in the entire consecutive 50 weeks of school, you will not be eligible to apply for the MSAT classes. If you don't have a 93 average or above in almost all of your classes, you are also not eligible.
If you do not qualify for the MSATs, they DO give you a job......as a goddamn oil tech at a local dealership.
We went on a "class fieldtrip" to several dealerships in the area, and when they saw that 70% of the class attending was not going to be going for the MSATs they were like "oh......UTI? well we'll think about it"
Many UTI students don't have the heart to really try hard in the school, and they get placed in the dealerships and ruin the reputation of the school.
So if you're willing to work very hard and just follow the rules at school, yes you can get in with the MSATs no problem, but if you're not diligent, you just payed +$20k to get a job as a lube tech at a dealership, when you could've walked in and gotten the same job without the notoriety of the "lesser inclined" UTI students.
I came out as the top 10 from the class, never missed a day, and got accepted for any one of the programs. I chose to go to the Toyota Body program, but declined a job afterwords at a dealership as a body tech. I chose to come to Afghanistan as a mechanic contractor and make some serious dough, then i'll go back home and enroll in the Porsche program, yeah you can do more than one, up in jacksonville florida.
So yeah, Wyotech is much better, UTI just has too much against it.
and the Hot Rod classes that you see advertised on TV? They're a 9 week program at the end of the school year.
They're allright
first 3 weeks you get to build up a chevy[>:] small block (no speed parts, just blueprinting and prep) and get it ready.
2nd 3 weeks you put performance parts (heads, cam, things like that) in your engine and bolt it into a t-bucket on the dyno.
you don't get to drive the cars, and you only get about 3 runs in before they overheat. The teams with the best running buckets will get to run either a 177 blower, a DP nitrous setup, or a fogger plate on a high rise tunnel ram. but understand this. The engines are reused every year, and are loose and not very well setup.
3rd 3 weeks is street legal (the fun part)
you get turbo, supercharger, or nitrous kits and bolt them to a variety of cars (Camaro SS, mustang cobra (03), dodge neon, honda civic, merc marauder, pontiac GTO, Pontiac GTP and some others)
they all have to be street legal and if you blow up the engine you fail the class.
So that's the fun part
yeah this is a LONG thread, but i thought i'd get it out.
Go Wyotech.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

My best friend went to wyotech, he loved it.
I unfortunately, chose to go to UTI.
THE BIGGEST F&%KING mistake i've ever made.
UTI is a good school to go to if you know VERY little about cars. I had 4 years of HS automotive and welding, so when i went to UTI, let's just say i was a bit bored.
The MSAT programs are good, but you need to be a TOP student to get into them. If you are late to class 3 times in the entire consecutive 50 weeks of school, you will not be eligible to apply for the MSAT classes. If you don't have a 93 average or above in almost all of your classes, you are also not eligible.
If you do not qualify for the MSATs, they DO give you a job......as a goddamn oil tech at a local dealership.
We went on a "class fieldtrip" to several dealerships in the area, and when they saw that 70% of the class attending was not going to be going for the MSATs they were like "oh......UTI? well we'll think about it"
Many UTI students don't have the heart to really try hard in the school, and they get placed in the dealerships and ruin the reputation of the school.
So if you're willing to work very hard and just follow the rules at school, yes you can get in with the MSATs no problem, but if you're not diligent, you just payed +$20k to get a job as a lube tech at a dealership, when you could've walked in and gotten the same job without the notoriety of the "lesser inclined" UTI students.
I came out as the top 10 from the class, never missed a day, and got accepted for any one of the programs. I chose to go to the Toyota Body program, but declined a job afterwords at a dealership as a body tech. I chose to come to Afghanistan as a mechanic contractor and make some serious dough, then i'll go back home and enroll in the Porsche program, yeah you can do more than one, up in jacksonville florida.
So yeah, Wyotech is much better, UTI just has too much against it.
and the Hot Rod classes that you see advertised on TV? They're a 9 week program at the end of the school year.
They're allright
first 3 weeks you get to build up a chevy small block (no speed parts, just blueprinting and prep) and get it ready.
2nd 3 weeks you put performance parts (heads, cam, things like that) in your engine and bolt it into a t-bucket on the dyno.
you don't get to drive the cars, and you only get about 3 runs in before they overheat. The teams with the best running buckets will get to run either a 177 blower, a DP nitrous setup, or a fogger plate on a high rise tunnel ram. but understand this. The engines are reused every year, and are loose and not very well setup.
3rd 3 weeks is street legal (the fun part)
you get turbo, supercharger, or nitrous kits and bolt them to a variety of cars (Camaro SS, mustang cobra (03), dodge neon, honda civic, merc marauder, pontiac GTO, Pontiac GTP and some others)
they all have to be street legal and if you blow up the engine you fail the class.
So that's the fun part
yeah this is a LONG thread, but i thought i'd get it out.
Go Wyotech.
well sh*t...that answered alot of my questions right there, thanks dude.

i lived there in laramie..for automotive,hot rod fab,and bussiness its like 28g for auto motive,chasis fab,like 23g..its exp..but one of the best schools in country...not alotto do there and is very colddddddddddddddddddddddd...and woman are not to kind usually for tekers///// but is cool place if u getto know folks,,,.i might still go.
I dont care about the girls...im en-gaged and she's movin out there with me. Im more of a kinda out-dorsie kinda person anyhow. I like to hunt, kill sh*t...you know that kinda stuff.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oh hey dude...i was wanting to know...when you were out there, did they have any welding shops out there? Cause im welding now and thats what i was going to do all through colledge, so...gotta have a shop to work....
Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I went to lincoln tech and employers do give a crap about that. They know anyone can get through those programs because they are run by companies that only care about geting your money. The piece of paper that really gets you the money is an ase certificate with as many ase's as you can get. Tech schools are only good to get you a general knowledge of working on cars. I didn't feel lincoln tech was worth the money and felt I could have got the same education from a community college.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:00 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

well i already know alot...im not trying to sound conceided, im serious...i mean, i can re-build engines, port heads, etc. I just need a degree saying i can do these things. And hell i might actually have fun there cause i would do that kinda stuff for free, like re-building engines, etc. I love doing it, its what i do to have fun...haha, i know that sounds stupid. I have alot of confidence ill get to do all that other stuff, like making the Nitrous motors and things. I basically do that every thursday at the drag strip...my cousins race two 86' Hatchs with 408's in them. So, i mean, i have that kinda experience. Im not going there to learn any earth shattering secrets to engine building....just to learn some stuff, maybe get alot of info i didnt neccissarily know, etc. And to get a degree or certification or whatever. I mean im only 19 and already a certified welder, im going to take my high pressure pipe certification test in two weeks, so im pretty excited about that. I was working in my uncle Wades machine shop but i quit there cause porting heads all day is pretty dull, and i know i got a job if i ever want it back. So now i build Engine hoists all day in a fab shop...lol...big change there.

But thanks for all your help and info. That really answered alot of questions.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:22 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

i am currently a UTI student and i def. think its worth it. yea they go over a lot of really basic stuff at first but in a way they have to for the people that have no idea whats goin on. they have campus' everywhere. Cali, Tex, Chicago (i go there), Boston, Pennsylvania....lots of other places. its true that the better attendance you have the better chance you'll have getting into the MSAT programs but thats what companies look at anyhow. its pretty easy to get into one of those programs as long as you dont slack. Wyotech is a great place too dont get me wrong. im just saying that UTI is not nearly what it was just made out to be. JMO
Old 08-02-2006, 02:59 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

[quotei am currently a UTI student and i def. think its worth it. yea they go over a lot of really basic stuff at first but in a way they have to for the people that have no idea whats goin on. they have campus' everywhere. Cali, Tex, Chicago (i go there), Boston, Pennsylvania....lots of other places. its true that the better attendance you have the better chance you'll have getting into the MSAT programs but thats what companies look at anyhow. its pretty easy to get into one of those programs as long as you dont slack. Wyotech is a great place too dont get me wrong. im just saying that UTI is not nearly what it was just made out to be. JMO ][/quote]

Yea, i hear ya. But like i said, im just going to the Larimie Wyoming campus because of the location. I mean hell, i mind as well see something while im in colledge, so ive been to Texas (not for me), been to florida more times than i can count (definatly not for me) Been to pennsylvania ( Not for me either) So, im just going to the Wyoming...peace and quiet. Im mainly going for the Diesal program they teach. Im going into that because everything is on a truck at one time or another and that field is exspanding, so ill have a job. Plus they make pretty good money if they know what the hell they're doing, my uncle used to do that, he worked on site on tractors and dozers/construction equiptment and made close to $90 an hour when he was called out to the site to repair something like that. And im wanting to work for a few years and try to open my own shop up. I'd also like to the hi-po engine program there. Because im really into some engines man, and i'd even like to maybe move around charlotte someplace (moorsville, Kannapolis area) and, try to get onto a race team or something like that, with their engine programs they have, but you have to be the best of the best to do anything like that so if that doesnt work out i got the diesal part to fall back on. Plus like i said im going to take my high pressure pipe welding test soon and hi-pressure pipe welders make a killin', but i definatly dont want to do that for the rest of my life...hell no.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

i am currently a UTI student and i def. think its worth it. yea they go over a lot of really basic stuff at first but in a way they have to for the people that have no idea whats goin on. they have campus' everywhere. Cali, Tex, Chicago (i go there), Boston, Pennsylvania....lots of other places. its true that the better attendance you have the better chance you'll have getting into the MSAT programs but thats what companies look at anyhow. its pretty easy to get into one of those programs as long as you dont slack. Wyotech is a great place too dont get me wrong. im just saying that UTI is not nearly what it was just made out to be. JMO

yeah you've got that awesome hot rod U teacher, forgot his name but he taught me more about turbos than I ever thought.
And the reason I downed UTI a bit was because i DID have the high school auto program, and ive got all my ASE's already, so the school was a big dissappointment for me, especially with the amount of money i was paying.
I'll tell you guys this.
$25K for the school and possible acceptance into the MSAT programs. You do your MSAT training for a year, then get a job at a dealership as a "certified" tech. That doesn't mean you're really good and you know all the little glitches on every car. So you start out making maybe $45k a year. If you're paying for the school then you've got a LOT of student loans to pay off (the UTI finance department will dismember you if you don't pay).
I left UTI after I graduated the toyota program, and signed in with***yes it's a bad rep***
Halliburton and their subcontract KBR.
I signed a 1 year contract to come to afghanistan and work as a mechanic. I work on everything, from small kawasakis to HUGE caterpillar dozers. I've learned more about european trucks and machinery and diesel technology then i'll ever learn back in the states. I've worked on military equipment and weapons....**** it's all good. I've been to Iraq, Oman, Syria, Lebanon (girlfriend's from there), Pakistan, Dubai, India, and Uzbekistan. All within a year.
Starting pay for me is $85k+ a year, with no tax!!!!
yeah the place sucks, it's hot and dusty, but the living conditions are great and the food's free.
Once i'm done working i'll come home and continue school, but this was a great career choice.
Just my $.02, and gives you guys some ideas if you're strapped for cash.
PM me if you want more info, and I can give a reference to help you out over here.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind UTI, but it wasn't worth the money in the long run.
oh yeah
88stangaruu....
we NEED WELDERS out here
starting pay is $93,000 a year and you're in an air conditioned shop.
plus we have all equipment and welding trucks you could imagine.
And you don't need any types of specialty welding certs.
Just a suggestion, i'm not a friggin recruiter, this is a civilian contractor job, not military.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

88stangaruu....
we NEED WELDERS out here
starting pay is $93,000 a year and you're in an air conditioned shop.
plus we have all equipment and welding trucks you could imagine.
And you don't need any types of specialty welding certs.
Just a suggestion, i'm not a friggin recruiter, this is a civilian contractor job, not military.
Damn...93K a year huh?

My dad was a welder for 15+ years, welded high pressure pipe, eventually ended up a Navy underwater welder....he said he got paid $90 a week when he first started.

My shop i work at, you burn your *** up in the summer and freeze your *** off in the winter. We got nice equiptment and stuff, dont have to put up with junky stuff, so thats nice. I got my own Welder so no sharing is going on which makes things nice.

Man....air conditioned shops...that must be nice...lol.

Quick Reply: Wyotech