5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ignition Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
cdanao@yahoo.com

Default RE: Ignition Box

I did a Mallory Hyfire 6AL install last weekend. Before installing the ignition system, I researched all the different brands, both inductive and capacitive ignitions systems. I finally settled for the Mallory, due to cost and features. It has similar specs to the MSD unit, however the Hyfire is a digital unit. Mallory also manufactures a TFI harness that plugs into the existing harness of your Stang. It was an hour project at most. I also purchased the Summit installation bracket that easily installed the unit on the passenger side strut tower. Since I don't has a SC like you, this was easily done by moving my MAC CAI a few cm towards the engine. This was easily done and the installation looks professional. The wiring was a snap, I used 14 gauge wire of differing colors from my local auto parts store. I took the additional time to shrink wrap all connections and route through existing wiring pathways, fronting the radiator to get from one side of the engine bay to the next. I also purchased some additional flex wire tubing. Results are quick starting, better throttle respone and I suspect better fuel mileage. I cannot believe the throttle response, it seems so quick for a v8. As for HP, I don't think there is any increase. I have to schedule some time on the dyno. I also replaced my coil with an Accel unit, the distributor cap and rotor with a blue Summit model and 9mm spiral wound from FRPP. I also converted from standard oil to synthetic Royal Purple 20-50w. I should have preface this reply by saying I am a newbie to this forum and that my ride is a Fox Body 1991 LX 5.0, dropped 1.5", stock block GT40 heads, port matched to stock intake, adjustable fuel regulator, BBK full exhaust featuring long tube headers, h pipe. My ride is not a daily driver, however I could drive it daily, but it would cost me a ton on gas consumption. I am working on my timing advance to see how much more power I can derive from this latest mod. Let me know how your project comes out.