5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Removing 5spd tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:53 PM
dutchinc

Default Removing 5spd tranny.

K i've been waiting a 2 weeks to get my car in to get my tranny removed so i can drop it off to the transmission place ( rebuild ). Im getting it takin out cheap, transmission place wants 280ish for labor JUST to take out and put in.

Anyhow im tired of waiting.

Im comfortable in taking it out. jus would like some tips so i dont miss anything. step by step sorta deal.

Any info would b great

88 - 5.0
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Default RE: Removing 5spd tranny.

Its actually not that hard, pull the drive shaft, unplug the speedo gear and wiring, clutch cable, pull the bolts on the bellhousing and wiggle it out. Oh yea the cross member has to come out along with the H pipe. I havent pulled one out since winter so I'm probably forgetting a few things.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:09 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

no thats it, the shifter needs to come out too though.

good time to do the following: new shifter (if it's still stock) o2 sensors,steel bearing retainer on the trans, synthetic fluid in the trans, rear main seal, new catback exhaust (header back IMO)

here are a couple tips....... when you remove the shifter, leave the 2 bolts for the rubber boot out , they are pretty unnecessary and a pita
when you refill the trans, just fill it through the shifter opening, it takes 2 3/4 qts
cut all the old exhaust off, and replace w/ new, the old bolts are a B!TCH
if you ever plan on doing a 3.73 or 4.10 gear , have them put a 6 tooth drive gear in the trans ($10) it's the black one
remove the trans from the BH, then the bh from the trans
drain the trans to keep from making a huge mess
you need a 12-point 12mm socket to remove thr ds bolts
when you are re-installing the trans, when you get the trans on, it will not seat all way w/out having someone inside the car and press the clutch all the way in.

it's a simple process, barring having trouble getting the old exhaust off, i can r&r a t5 in 2 hours flat no probs

replace the old w/ a decent clutch kit, and resurface the flywheel.......after you get the flywheel back on, be very careful to NOT touch the flywheel, clutch disc or pp w/ any oily hands. clean everything w/ about a whole can of brake cleaner.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Also to make it easier to get it out use a jack and an extra set of hands. Make the crossmember be the last thing you loosen. Once its loosened remove it then pull the jack stright back. You might have to lower the jack just a tad to clear the body. Another thing that should be replaced is the pilot bearing.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:41 PM
dutchinc

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

good time to do the following: new shifter (if it's still stock) o2 sensors,steel bearing retainer on the trans, synthetic fluid in the trans, rear main seal, new catback exhaust (header back IMO)

cut all the old exhaust off, and replace w/ new, the old bolts are a B!TCH
if you ever plan on doing a 3.73 or 4.10 gear , have them put a 6 tooth drive gear in the trans ($10) it's the black one

replace the old w/ a decent clutch kit, and resurface the flywheel.......after you get the flywheel back on, be very careful to NOT touch the flywheel, clutch disc or pp w/ any oily hands. clean everything w/ about a whole can of brake cleaner.

I do have 3.73 gears now, its hard to say if previous owner put in a 6 tooth drive - what is that anyways ?

Here where I live, we dont need catalytic converters, so i have headers, Hpipe dynomax mufflers and no tail pipes.

I am puttin on a new clutch, pressure plate and bearing. but i couldnt afford a performance one, its a new Fenco ( dont laugh ) not a refurb tho, around here a King Cobra would run a fella 625 bux, its NUTS. and outta my price range.

Im assuming that the transmission place would resurface the flywheel?

Is there a cheap place online to get o2 sensors?

Thanks.