5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

can someone help me comprehend....

Old 08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Default can someone help me comprehend....

alright, as i've pretty much told everyone on the forums so far, my knowledge is little (but growing from reading posts everyday) when it comes to cars and power adders. I've made a post or 2 about superchargers and turbos and i understand them somewhat, but not the whole 9 yards so to speak. I just dont understand what i need to look for or what i need to have when buying a kit, reguardless of SC or turbo. When i have the money to buy the kit, does everything come with it? Or will i have to buy the kit, then go buy this, and then that, and dump more cash for another supporter. I was in a heavy debate with myself on whether i want to pursue a turbo or supercharger, but am now leaning more towards the supercharger. I like them a ton better, especially with the whine, but i think i was just so overwhelmed with the power of a turbo, although they are MUCH MORE expensive. I also dont plan on making this a track car, it will be my DD provided some old f@g doesnt t-bone me. If i do continue with my plan and get a supercharger, that is if all my funds are lined up and something ridiculous doesnt pop up, i will probably get a vortech s-trim (pretty sure thats it, dont hold me to it if thats not right lol) unless i see a deal i cant pass up.

im definitely going to look around for prices (hows ebay? i've heard not bad, and i've heard dont waste your time...) but are any sites THAT much different in terms of pricing than others?

and i know i know, theres been hundreds of posts like these, but when i read them, i dont really understand them. So sorry for the repeat, but i did search, and didnt really help, hopefully you guys can help me out on this one.

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: can someone help me comprehend....

If its a daily driver...for the best drivability, id try to find one with an intercooler in the kit. They're more exspensive, but you get what you pay for.

I mean, most everything you need comes in the kit. But as far as fuel system terms, your going to need to go ahead and buy some bigger injectors, 30lb-42lb should suffice. Depending on the boost levels. A bigger fuel pump at the very least. Then fuel rails are good practice also.

But other than that, as long as the boost levels are reasonable, it should be fine.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for, and i like to spend my money once.

As far as ebay...ive heard good things, ive heard bad things from it. Thats risk thats yours to choose
Old 08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

DO NOT get a supercharger, blower or turbo well it all depends how old is your car how many miles are on it? and even if its a newer vehicle it going to tear up your motor, my freind didnt listen to me and bought a supercharger, i tired and tried to get himt o change his mind but against my advice he did it anyways i told him what would happen and it did, we were at a light he thought he was bad *** becuase of his S/C he takes have than BOOM! car shuts down, hood bent up pretty bad well what heppened was he blew his intake clear off the heads, the truth is, is you cant just go out and buy a supercharger you got to have the motor built for it, my advice if your going to supercharge it, is to get some heads and intake that can handle the power of the S/C you should also get a dart block there the best and it too will handle the power, otherwise you will probly end up shooting the rod right outside the motor like i did, i bought a S/C top of the line heads and intake and my rod shot strait threw the motor, but you can safely run 6 psi once you get 9 on up your pushing the limits of your motor thats not built for the S/C if you dont want to do all this than just run a low psi on the S/C and you can buy kits that come with EVERYTHING you need you should at least upgrade your ignition system before the S/C well have fun
Old 08-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

A procharger comes with everything the fuel pump injecters etc. but do not push the psi above 6 or your going to find your self on the side of the road.
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

If its a daily driver...for the best drivability, id try to find one with an intercooler in the kit. They're more exspensive, but you get what you pay for.

I mean, most everything you need comes in the kit. But as far as fuel system terms, your going to need to go ahead and buy some bigger injectors, 30lb-42lb should suffice. Depending on the boost levels. A bigger fuel pump at the very least. Then fuel rails are good practice also.

But other than that, as long as the boost levels are reasonable, it should be fine.

Like everything else, you get what you pay for, and i like to spend my money once.

As far as ebay...ive heard good things, ive heard bad things from it. Thats risk thats yours to choose
Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

not saying your wrong, cuz i dont know enough to accuse anyone of that, but lemme just pose a question, if superchargers are so bad, then why do soooo many people buy them, including my friends who havent had any problems. I mean lets face it, any power adder is going to f*ckin tear up your engine, its just to wat degree will that happen. You know what i mean. Intresting post though thanks for the advice
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

DO NOT get a supercharger, blower or turbo well it all depends how old is your car how many miles are on it? and even if its a newer vehicle it going to tear up your motor, my freind didnt listen to me and bought a supercharger, i tired and tried to get himt o change his mind but against my advice he did it anyways i told him what would happen and it did, we were at a light he thought he was bad *** becuase of his S/C he takes have than BOOM! car shuts down, hood bent up pretty bad well what heppened was he blew his intake clear off the heads, the truth is, is you cant just go out and buy a supercharger you got to have the motor built for it, my advice if your going to supercharge it, is to get some heads and intake that can handle the power of the S/C you should also get a dart block there the best and it too will handle the power, otherwise you will probly end up shooting the rod right outside the motor like i did, i bought a S/C top of the line heads and intake and my rod shot strait threw the motor, but you can safely run 6 psi once you get 9 on up your pushing the limits of your motor thats not built for the S/C if you dont want to do all this than just run a low psi on the S/C and you can buy kits that come with EVERYTHING you need you should at least upgrade your ignition system before the S/C well have fun
Jesus, how much boost were you trying to run?

As far as building the engine, there are plenty of guys on here with stock blocks and entire stock engines running 11psi, reliably, Pro50SC, Black Snake, lots of them on here. I htink Pro50Sc's got like 145,000 miles on his....or somewhere around there. And its got boost on it.

But like i said....find a kit with a intercooler. Its much much safer runnin a intercooler with boost.

Oh, and theres even a guy with a totally stock engine, heads/bottom end, etc and he's got a turbo kit on it pushing i htink 12psi or so. And he had some video's posted up about a month ago. Awesome.

Build it right and its fine.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

how much more expensive would it be with the intercooler? and extra 700$ (just shooting out that figure, thats what it was for a turbo)
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Anthonyandmarisol
2nd Gear Member

Well like i siad it all depends on the psi your gunna run think about it if you go out and buy a S/C and get the pulley etc etc and turn oput 10 psi something gunna heppen the intake cannont take it at that psi, like i siad you can safely run a certain amount of psi... and the reason everyone goes out and buys them is because most that know what there doing keep the psi low on a stock motor for those who dont think its okay to just strap on 10 psi and go well its not
ORIGINAL: BascoSauce

not saying your wrong, cuz i dont know enough to accuse anyone of that, but lemme just pose a question, if superchargers are so bad, then why do soooo many people buy them, including my friends who havent had any problems. I mean lets face it, any power adder is going to f*ckin tear up your engine, its just to wat degree will that happen. You know what i mean. Intresting post though thanks for the advice
Old 08-04-2006, 02:58 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Anthony, sounds like your friend didn't install it correctly or ran too much boost on a stock motor. I know people running 400-500 REAR wheel hp w/ boost on a stock bottom end, but they have taken all the necessary precautions to ensure they won't blow their motor.

1 phrase for anyone wanting to get boost:

IT'S ALL IN THE TUNE.

If you're prepared to spend the money on boost, be prepared to do everything (and spend everything) necessary to ensure it is setup correctly and tuned correctly, at least for A/F. Not to offend anyone, but don't waste the $$ on a s/c kit or turbo kit if you don't have the funds to do the proper fuel setup and make sure it has a safe tune.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

dawg look wat 88 wrote, people are running 10-12psi on the forums with stock engines.....i just dont see where your coming from. Its like if theres one spoiled egg out of the dozen, you'd tell everyone not to eat eggs, their poisoness.

Search this Thread