5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cold Air Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:15 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Tuning?

You've just gotta check the feedback on ebay....most people w/ a decent amount of + feedback want to keep it that way, so they won't screw you. I would actually be more concerned w/ buying from someone in the classifieds just b/c you have no recourse if you don't get what you paid for.

Like VRI said, the cobra MAF will not work. Where do you live? There is a local forum here in Dallas where you could find one cheap and easily...you might see if there is something similar locally to help you out.

VRI, you obviously know more (in detail) about how MAF's work than I do, so I won't even begin to argue I may have to call PMAS myself b/c I would like to know what the differences are in the CAI tuned MAF.... I don't have time at the moment (work), but I'll call later if I can.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM
94GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

All your posts are helping me a lot. Thanks a lot guys. Anyways, to clarify my situation, heres the story. I have an aftermarket, 75mm MAF meter made by Granatelli. I am guessing it was calibrated correctly to my injector size, but who knows, it has been giving me minor problems since I bought the car, so maybe it wasn't. Anyways, the electronics for my MAF went bad, and I need to get a new one. Having already tried electrical contact cleaner to no success, I am now on the search for new MAF electronics. I might end up having to buy the 75mm housing again with it, unless I can find them seperately.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:25 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94GT5.0

All your posts are helping me a lot. Thanks a lot guys. Anyways, to clarify my situation, heres the story. I have an aftermarket, 75mm MAF meter made by Granatelli. I am guessing it was calibrated correctly to my injector size, but who knows, it has been giving me minor problems since I bought the car, so maybe it wasn't. Anyways, the electronics for my MAF went bad, and I need to get a new one. Having already tried electrical contact cleaner to no success, I am now on the search for new MAF electronics. I might end up having to buy the 75mm housing again with it, unless I can find them seperately.
Seriously, buy used. Don't be skurred of the ebay.... I just hate to see you blow $$ that you could be using towards something else on your car. PM sent.....
Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

You know, I'm not sure why they would want to 'calibrate' for a CAI. I know there are certain scenarios which could cause issues with MAF setups. I know you can get a MAF (from PMAS) that's calibrated for NA versus Forced Induction. Don't try to run the car without the belt on the blower -- you'll end up with some crazy bobbling RPM action above 3k or so. I remember the first setup I built with a blower, a long time ago... (original 6# Paxton) I used a Pro-M calibrated for a blower & 30# injectors. I figured, break in the motor without the blower...tried to drive it around and it no likey...It was fun the first time I blew the belt off the car....had to limp it down the track...

Anyway...I know turbulence can cause issues and maybe it's the lack of turbulence in the intake tract for which they're calibrating. We used a PMAS Pro-tube on a car and when you do that, you need at least 6" on each side of the wire for that exact reason-- to allow the flow to smooth out a bit. C&L's are notoriously picky when it comes to turbulence -- the reason for clocking the meter, which generally fixes any issues with them on NA cars.

Basically, I think you guys are right -- it's a turbulence issue....what they're doing to 'calibrate' it, I don't know...I'll have to give PMAS a call and see what they think.

- Jeff

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Pro-Tube was for a blow thru setup and was on a Novi 2K setup...it was calibrated for NA (intentionally).
Old 08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
94GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

Seriously, buy used. Don't be skurred of the ebay.... I just hate to see you blow $$ that you could be using towards something else on your car. PM sent.....
I know, I have bought from ebay before. Its just that I cant find anything on there. They just dont have what I need. I mean how long do I wait before the item I need turns up on there. It could be a year before my MAF shows up on there.