5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Crashed the GT!need serious advice here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Mac93
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Crashed the GT!need serious advice here!

I got rear ended a few weeks ago and I was amazed when I got the estimate. I only saw a broken tail light and some paint, but it turned out to be $989.60 for the other guy's insurance to pay for! I got a free rental, and my brother got $500 because he had a headache and missed a day of work.. God bless America!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

what a stupid c*nt...just press charges and make sure she doesn't get her license back for a LONG time...she shouldn't be driving...and make her suck you up while your at it to alleviate the emotional stress...lol
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

dude, just take it to get an estimate, report it to insurance and bam, your all good. Definately have it checked out. I did with mine and got a whole new paint job, aftermarket parts etc. The mechanic or body shop will work with you, trust me, when they find out its the insurance company that is paying for it. They are real crooks!!
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 PM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

Im actually an insurance agent and my advice is that this needs to go through the insurance company no matter what. I would file a report if you havent already and when their or your adjuster comes out you need to tell them everythings thats wrong or different due to the accident. Usually the insurance company just pays to have the surrounding area painted but not the whole car. Although i've known clients that have paid a little extra to the body shop to do the rest of the car and they agreed.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:47 AM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

as C.O to C.O....check the local laws.. in jersey she would've got nailed with a leaving the scene of a accident 6 month min loss of liscense...i would press what ever charges/tickets because if there's any question of fault or payment that would pretty much end it..plus if u didnt do anyhting wrong u want your car fixed to your satisfaction so makesure u find a shop that is good, DO NOT go to a shop the insurance company asks/or tells u to goto..let your bodyshop do all the haggling with the insurance co and thier estimator ..i used to work in body shops and one shop i worked at was a DRP.. ( direct repair facility that has a an account with the insurance co and does the work according to the insurance co and gets paid alot less for labor due to the insurance company assures them alot of work , get my drift..and workmanship usally sucks...any car we repaired for a drp type situation i thought looked like *** ...so that's my 2 cents...cover your *** and make sure u take your car to a shop that u are happy with cause once it's fixed somewhere the insurance company walks away so if it aint right they dont care......p.s anyone who hits u and runs without even stopping to see if anyone is hurt is a P.O.S..accidents happen it's why we have insurance
Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 AM
infierno
1st Gear Member

heh, i would say check all the laws and charge whatever you can, cause she is just tryin to save her own a$$
Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM
mustangmike50
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys for all the input, here is the update so far. I called the Insurance, faxed them a joint report. I am getting a car rental- tryed for a 06 GT, but still no news there. I decided not to go with the insurance companys recommended body shop. The more i look at this, the more I see that my damages are hidden (mechanical mostly, a bit of body). Due to that, I figured I would take it somewhere that does both body and mechanics. I recently heard the local Ford dealer did great paint jobs, and since they do mechanics, and know the car better than anyone- I will be sending it there. I would love to sue her, but here in canada, someone basically has to die before you will win a cent from anyone. I noticed this morning that the car is pissing brake fluid from the opposite side I was hit on. However, when I was hit in the back weel, the entire back end swung out, which I guess might have done something. The insurance has been very helpful up to date, but I am still worried that they will not evaluate it properly. The last thing I want is a car that shakes when you drive. It is my daily driver, and often I have the family with me so safety is essential. If it is not fixed properly she will go up for sale in the near future. The back end surely is out of whack. I tryed to do a Police report, but they were too busy, and told me to come back Monday to do the report. I will keep you all posted. Was the Ford dealer agood choice for my repairs? I usually do my own mechanics, so I do not have a specific garage I deal with...Thanks again boys!!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Dont get sue happy
Lawyers and frivolous lawsuits are running this country into the ground.

Do take it to YOUR mechanic of choice, not the insurance companies.

just make sure the frame is still straight and have them check all the structural
stuff underneath where the axle attaches.

Shyt Happens, just get her fixed and move on, dont fret over a younge stupid girls
mistake, we all make them.......... thats what insurance is for anyway.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:50 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Stick it in da pooper!!!! haha, sue the **** out of her, make her family homeless and buy your self an Enzo and a couple of 5.0's.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:25 PM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

just ask the dealer if u can see some of thier work, if u are confident in there workmanship then it's a good choice plus they do know the car and may be willing to use real ford parts rather aftermarket..but talk to the service writer and see if then can hook u up wit aftermarket items if there gonna change things ...and as far as the police i would absolutly be on there *** , there job is take the information and do a report not tell u to come back, when the taxes that pay the cops are due can u to tell the collecter come back next week i'm busy, i think not