MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   speaker wires (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/162588-speaker-wires.html)

killebrew 08-06-2006 05:12 AM

speaker wires

do you know what is + and what is -

rockett1978 08-06-2006 05:14 AM

RE: speaker wires

i mess with factory wiring more than aftermarket but if i remeber right the stripe wire is the positive

ive hooked up both ways and sounds the same

lookinforastang 08-06-2006 05:37 AM

just play the guessing game and switch the wires till it sounds right

i have tons of speaker wires (i have em spliced 3 ways on each side) and i just switch em around till they all sound right heh

samseed101 08-06-2006 05:41 AM

There's an even easier way to figure it out. First disconnect the factory wiring harness from the factory speaker. Now remember which way it was placed in the speaker.

Next take two pieces of speaker wire and connect it to both terminals of the factory speaker. Now connect the other side of the two pieces of speaker wite to the + and - ends of a AA or AAA battery. The center cone of the speaker will either suck in or push out slightly when you connect the battery. If it sucks in a bit, then you have it backwards. If it pushes out slightly, then the + of the battery is connected to the + of the speaker.

Now that you know which terminal on the speaker is +, go back and look at the wiring harness to see whish wire ran to that terminal. That is your + wire.
Kinda hard to explain, but easy to do. I hope I explained that clearly enough.

89GTRed 08-06-2006 06:28 AM

There's an even easier way to figure it out. First disconnect the factory wiring harness from the factory speaker. Now remember which way it was placed in the speaker.

Next take two pieces of speaker wire and connect it to both terminals of the factory speaker. Now connect the other side of the two pieces of speaker wite to the + and - ends of a AA or AAA battery. The center cone of the speaker will either suck in or push out slightly when you connect the battery. If it sucks in a bit, then you have it backwards. If it pushes out slightly, then the + of the battery is connected to the + of the speaker.

Now that you know which terminal on the speaker is +, go back and look at the wiring harness to see whish wire ran to that terminal. That is your + wire.
Kinda hard to explain, but easy to do. I hope I explained that clearly enough.
wow, that was easier than just switching em till it sounds right..... all you do is try it 1 way if it doesnt sound right, reverse it....lol

samseed101 08-06-2006 12:09 PM

LOL, okay, so maybe it's not "easier" than that way, but at least you know it's right and you're not relying on what sounds right. A lot of times, it's too close to tell. :)