5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Throttle Body?

Old 06-15-2003, 01:37 AM
JT Steeda

Default Throttle Body?

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>Ive been looking into getting a throttle body for a '94 GT. Ive been talking to different shops here in town, all giving me diff opinions on which is better, 65, 70, 75? Im wondering which size is better and how much will i gain from it? Also will i need aspacer for the new one?thanx alot.</FONT>
Old 06-15-2003, 01:40 AM
JT Steeda

Default Throttle Body?

Sorry about all the posts, comp keeps freezing!!!
Old 06-15-2003, 03:25 AM
89 GT

Default Throttle Body?

Hi JT,</P>

Assumming your engine is stock stick with the 65mm unit and 67mm EGR spacer. This combo is capable of supporting up to 400 hp. You may want to first consider replacing your Mass Air Flow meterbefore changing the throttle body. </P>

If you go to large on a stock engine you'll end up with a car that is slow responing to the throttle, i.e. at the light youdrop thegas peddel to the floor butthe car bogs out then picks up. You'll lose that snappy response by going to large.</P>

The true hp gain wouldn't be felt until you change the intake, heads and exhaust. </P>

Cheers, Shane</P>
Old 06-15-2003, 03:31 AM
JT Steeda

Default Throttle Body?

Well i wish someone here would have made it that easy to understand. Are all mass airflows the same size for mustangsor do i corresponde itand geta 65mmmeter to match the throttle boddy?
Old 06-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

Default Throttle Body?

JT, </P>

ON MY 94 GT I RAN A 75MM PRO-M MASS AIR AND 70MM THROTTLE BODY ARE I COULD TELL A DIFFERENCE FROM STOCK. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE MASS AIR IS BIGGER THAN THE THROTTLE BODY SO THAT THE AIR GOING INTO THE ENGINE IS SORT OF FUNNELED IN. </P>

THANKS</P>

CODY MASON</P>
Old 06-18-2003, 02:09 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Body?

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>JT,</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>If your car is not going to get heads, air intake, etc... for a while then go with a small mm on the throttle body 65-70mm should be fine, get a spacer to match and make sure the Mass Air is at least 5-10 mm bigger than your throttle body. </FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>tip of the day: - (and some folks are going to think this is non-related, BUT ....) change out your pcv (positive crank valve), it's only a few bucks and AND A N D clean out/change your spark arrestor it WILL make a difference.</FONT></P><FONT face=Arial>

</FONT><FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>Right underneath the pcv valve (in the same hole) is a small mesh screen called a "spark arrestor" which filters out some of the bigger dirt and debris before it gets to the pcv valve. Many high mileage Mustangs still have the stock spark arrestor that's usually clogged which prevents proper pcv valve operation. It's definitely worth changing, and only cost $3-$4 at any Ford dealership.</FONT></P><FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>

Changing the spark arrestor can be much more difficult then changing the pcv valve. Although there are tools made specifically for changing this part there are other ways of going about it.
What I've found was easiest was to get a large self taping screw with a large head on it, and a pair of vise grips. Take the screw and screw it into the spark arrestor. Remember that the spark arrestor is pushed into a hole in the lower intake so it can be a very tight fit. Then take the vice grips and pull on the screw, which should pull the whole spark arrestor out. "If it first you don't succeed, try, try"..... well you get the idea. Once you get the spark arrestor out, all you have to do is push the new one in.
Be very careful not to drop the screw or anything else down the hole after you get the spark arrestor out. </P></FONT><FONT face="Palatino Lino">Hope that helps...</FONT>
Old 06-18-2003, 02:25 PM
JT Steeda

Default Throttle Body?

Thats interesting, im gunna go try that today! thanks for the advice!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:24 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Body?

ps, - I have a word document with some pictures of where it is and some other stuff for the throttle body if you are interested let me know I'll email it to you or something. </P>

nevermind...I'll just post it in case anyone else is interested.</P>

</P><edited><editID>WhiteHawk</editID><editDate>37790.5658333333</editDate></edited>
Old 06-18-2003, 03:32 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Body?

EE23E_Clean_Throttle_body_and_Idle_Motor.zip</P>

Here is one for the throttle body cleaning.</P>
Old 06-18-2003, 03:33 PM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle Body?

2ZA79_PCValve_and_Spark_arrestor_Replacement.zip</P>

...and here is the one to clean the PCValve and Spark arrestor.</P>