5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Painting Interior...... AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting Interior...... AGAIN!

This is a good article, https://mustangforums.com/m_950474/tm.htm

hope it helps
Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Thats pretty much EXACTALLY what I did except I didnt use the same paint and I used scuff pads instead of the sand paper but basically same thing.

The only part I skipped out on was the clear coat so I guess thats what I am going to be doing all weeked....

THANKS ALOT FOR THAT POST. IT HELPED ALOT!

If anyone has any other recommendations for a clear coat besides the dupli-color SPEAK UP!

Thanks 7upedition!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:43 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I'm getting ready to do my white interior with the 50resto laquer but i'm undecided if i should clear coat over it or not.. i'll let youknow how it turns out. good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 05:47 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

From my recent experience... I would! I just didnt want to clear it because it was going to make it shiny and I didnt want a shiny interior, I basically wanted it like a flat black but I guess thats not going to happen.

Anyway, definetly use the clear coat. I KNOW for a fact that I did everything perfect on mine. Preperation was ridiculous... I spend prob 60 hours painting my interior! CLEAR COAT FTW!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

I'm getting ready to do my white interior with the 50resto laquer but i'm undecided if i should clear coat over it or not.. i'll let youknow how it turns out. good luck
Let us know how it turns out, I am really interested in doing the 50resto laquer in my car to clean up the panels and make em look new.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I heard it works pretty well.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

armor all is the enemy did u use silicone wax and grease remover? u must use that before u ever sand! the link is backwards on the prep procedure. wash with a good grease cutting soap like dawn etc. then wash it again again, and again! then wax and greaser it! wipe on with one rag then wipe dry with another do this a million times!!!!!!!!!!!!! if not u sanded contaminents into the plastic and they will be inthe sanding scratches and it will have a hard time sticking! also u can buy flat clear from an autobody store alot of the hot rodders use it on there street rods for the vintage flat look but with the durability of a 2 stage modern system
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

you need to use an adhesive promoter. this will make the paint stick i went through the same thing.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I used the paint from 5.0 resto and I havent had any problems with paint coming off. All I did was clean everything really good with alcohol (used mineral spirits follwed by alcohol on bad spots) then hit it with a good coat of primer and then a couple lights coats followed by a heavy coat of color. Looks really good and like I said no problems.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

OK well I didnt get the last two responses but I ended up sanding, wiping, sanding and wiping again.

Basically, the final thing is........... it didnt turn out the way I wanted it too. I didnt even bother putting a clear on it. I sanded it too much (its already been sanded like three times from recent painting) and it basically looks kind of flat. And I didnt realize how hard it was to paint a black panel black. You cant see what you sprayed, where you sprayed, etc. It came out not horrible but it looked alot better before I even touched it. Im super pissed so if anyone is around Hamilton, NJ and is looking for a set of black quarter panels just throw me a PM and we can work out some kind of deal.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Painting Interior...... AGAIN!