5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Painting Interior...... AGAIN!

Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Painting Interior...... AGAIN!

I painted my interior about 6 months ago. I painted everything black with SEM Landau Black paint. I prepped everything really good and painted atleast 3-4 coats. I prepped it by using a really light scuff pad (just enough to clean it up), than used DuPont anitistatic wipes to clean it off, scuffed again, wipped again, than sprayed.

The problem is, if I even take my fingernail against it too hard, it scratches off. Can anyone recommend anything? I was thinking about just scuffing everything again, painting and trying to seal it with something. Does anyone have any personal experience with this and can help me out? Thanks alot.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Painting Interior...... AGAIN!

sounds like its not sticking

did u sand it down? what grit did u use? try sanding/use a stronger grit this time

heated drying REALLY helps too

they always say bake it like you cooked it [8D]
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

No direct experiance, but I do know that the leather or vinyl material does not paint very well as it's generally died that color from the factory. The only way I know how not to get it to chip off is to strip all the paint, sand everything again and get vinyl specific or some of the badest paint that will stick to anything, put one to two layers of primer, then put of 3-5 layers of paint, remember, bake every layer on in the sun for about 15-30 minutes, dries quicker and adhears better, then maybe 1-2 layers of sealant or a clear coat on the plastic peices.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Theres acutally this paint shop (all automotive paint, interior, regular, etc.) and they recommended these scuff pads called Mad Dogs or something like that and thats what I used. I prepped it perfect, the plastic was all dried out (no oil on plastic, etc.). Also, I dried everything under four big spot lights (get super hot when shinning on something. I waited the recommended time for all the different coats, etc. I just think I just need a good sealer. Can anyone recommend anything?

And I know its not the paint because its basically like the best interior paint you can buy (about $10 dollars a can if I can remember correctly). It was highly recommended by the owner of the speciality paint shop.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Have you tried some of the color matched laquer dyes that 50resto sells? I know they sell a product that is a prep agent as well.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

No, I havent tried any of their paints. I dont think its the paint thats the problem because I have also talked to poeple who have used that before and have had great success with it. I think its just because I didnt pray some kind of sealer on it. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I used to scuff pads because I didnt want to sand it because I didnt want to loose the ripples in the plastic.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

sanding it wont lose the ripples it will make them deeper but when painted it will look normal

it could be ur clear coat im not sure.

my friend paints his interior parts (not OEM colors.. hes a ricer lol) and they always come out like crap because he doesnt sand them down.

i forget the spray he uses but its basicaly spray paint

it sticks but it just looks like crap (bubbles, drips, etc..)
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, the scuff pads that I used basically is like a high grit sand paper and the paint that I use is fine. I DID NOT use any kind of clear coat on it. Does anyone recommend any kind of brands to use?

Also, I am definetly sticking with the same paint because I really like how it came out, just didnt hold up well. I really liked the color also, its basically like a semi gloss but not as glossy
Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

TTT
Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Can anyone recommend any kind of sealer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting Interior...... AGAIN!