5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting to put back together.....

Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default Starting to put back together.....

so my motor has been apart since before last winter. First off, i'm new to all of this, so that was takin along time, and then i ran out of money. So i got some money now to buy the rest of the parts. I already go the heads ( gt40P ). I'm either set on the trickflow stage 1 cam or an E or B cam. Anyone have any advice between those 3 ?

My heads have different valves and springs....I'm not too sure of the specs of them tho. Should i stick with my stock rockers ? or maybe get some 1.7's ?

I still need to get all the gaskets too.....I hear that felpro, victor reinz, detroit are all good choices for gaskets.

I mightas well replace my timing chain while im there too....should i go with a factory replacement ? any advice on that ?

If my funding is still available, i was plannin on replacing the upper/lower intake too. I was lookin at the gt40 just because it seems like it flows pretty good, and isnt too expensive. I'm gonna need some 24# injectors with that, so my next question would be mass airflow sensor. Can i use on from a cobra ? Or should i get one otherwise ? Any suggestions ?

Fuel pump.....Think its worth it or necessary to replace it ?

Also, i'm prolly gonna need to get a good tune after everything is together. Should i go for a dyno tune ? I hear that sn95's dont like mods very well, and its hard for em to get used to them.

Sorry about all the questions and such, i just need to get thsi car back together as fast as i can. Now all i need is someone that knows what theyre doin so it doesnt take me a month to bolt everything on.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Starting to put back together.....

For the GT40 intake, it is one of the most expensive intakes for a 5.0 out there. Most people around here will tell you a TFS Street or Track Heat will do you good. Not to mention they're both cheaper than GT40.

For a timing chain, yes I would definitly get a new one, they're cheap and probly should be changed anyways. For my motor, I bought the cheapy $27 summit racing brand timing chain, just make sure its a double roller if you decide for a different one.

I was going between the E-303 and TFS Stage 1 because I needed to pass emissions here in OR, but I picked the TFS Stage 1 cam because I have TrickFlow everything else, and just wanted to match components. Plus I think it was cheaper than the motorsport cams, and I can probly just detune the car to get it to pass anyways.

For deciding between 1.7's and stock rockers, just realize that with 1.7's your stock valve covers aren't going to clear, so that'll cost you more money for new valve covers.

My gasket kit that I bought through summit is the felpro full 302 gasket kit, but it had the wrong timing cover gasket or was missing it in my kit so I just siliconed it, doesn't leak tho, otherwise felpro's are good stuff. its like $100 for the full kit or something like that.

For the mass air meter, get whatever matches your injectors that matches your budget, if you think its holding you back its easy enough to change later.

Fuel pump is definitely a must, I would get at least 190lph if your going to put nitrous or whatever on it, but its only like $10 more for the 255lph (which is what I wish I had bought instead of my 190) Don't worry about going too big, theres a fuel return line for fuel that isn't used, which goes back to the tank. The amount of fuel going into your engine is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator anyways. Stock one isn't adjustable so if you still have the stock one I would plan on getting an adjustable one with a pressure gauge to go with it.

As for the computers in the sn-95's I can't give any advice on that, I have a fox with A9P computer. I think there was a kit so you could retrofit a fox computer to your sn-95, but I'm not positive. So if you wanted to go that route instead of a dyno tune. I was quoted about $600 for a dyno tune at Vancouver, WA.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:58 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I mightas well replace my timing chain while im there too....should i go with a factory replacement ? any advice on that ?
Definatly replace the timing chain on it, anytime you switch cams it a good idea to change the timnig set to, unless its already brand new. Make sure whatever you go with it a double roller.

My heads have different valves and springs....I'm not too sure of the specs of them tho. Should i stick with my stock rockers ? or maybe get some 1.7's ?
Figure out what size valves you got before deciding on a cam or 1.7 rocker arms. Stock GT-40's have 1.84/1.54 valves if im not mistaken. Two big of valves may mean piston to valve clearance issues.

I still need to get all the gaskets too.....I hear that felpro, victor reinz, detroit are all good choices for gaskets.
Just buy a gasket kit, they're about $60-$100 depending on what you get. It includes everything you need to assemble the entire engine.

And with those GT-40P's you may have some spark plug interferance issues with the header pipes. BBK long tubes will correct this. Or i believe they came out or are coming out with a shorter spark plug to correct the issue also.

Good luck, as far as SN95's not recieving mods well i dont know about that. Someone else can help you there.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I BEAT YOU!!!
Home-Row typing ftw!!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I BEAT YOU!!!
Home-Row typing ftw!!

[] Dammit....
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

I was looking to get a gt40 intake off ebay. I've found alot from explorers and i hear they perfrom just as well as the ones off the cobra. I do have BBK headers, but i'm not too sure if they are long tubes or not. Prolly a stupidy act on my part, because they are pretty long, which would prolly make them the long tubes. But still nto positive.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Anyone have any advice on tuning this ? Is there any other way to get a good tune with a dyno ?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

If you didn't have to change your H-pipe to a shorter version then they're shorty headers, either equal length or unequal. Just be sure you're actually getting a GT-40 intake, they have the same lower as the cobra/explorer intakes, but have a different upper. Here's what one looks like if you want to see.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

nevermind...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Is an upper intake from an explorer not a real gt-40 ? I'm gonna look around on ebay and see what i can find. There are usually pretty decent prices. I'll check out some trickflow stuff too. Any advice on tuning ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting to put back together.....