5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

heat problem.. *PLEASE* help :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:09 AM
fears
1st Gear Member

Default heat problem.. *PLEASE* help :(

hi buds,.. iv done just about everything..changed the fan sensor, the temp sensor, the temp gauge.. and checked all other stuff.. all seems fine.. out of the blue a few days ago my temp started to read high and thats when i changed all above and checked all other stuff.. all seems fine...... when i start the car, it seems to heat up quicker then usual.... accourdin to the gauge.. then when i drive it.. the temp starts to rise... dramatically.. i went around the block.. and heres what happened.. check the pic..

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/449/1dr9.jpg

.. then when i stopped the car and popped the hood.. the hose showed "NO" pressure.. thats weird... could this be air in the engine? if so how did it get there?... what else to check..
Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 AM
blade

Default RE: heat problem.. *PLEASE* help :(

Have you change the thermostate yet? It souds like the thermostate is not orperateing properly. You can test it by takeing the thermostate out. Then boil some water in a old pot than drop it in there if it dont open you have a bad thermostate! Also you water pump may be bad thats what I would check next.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

^i agree
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
fears
1st Gear Member

stat is workin.. i filed the housing with water and watched the water go in when the stat opened....
water pump... i opened the radiator cap, when reved the water is sucked.. its workin fine.....

a local mustang shop toled me.. that my gauge might not be reading properly caused by electric problems... cause when it reads half.. the radiator hose has no pressure

they alll say: no pressure = no heat and my gauge reads half with no pressure.. never used to be like that.....

pls ... experts help
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

stock guages are known to be inaccurate, i would invest in an aftermarket temp guage (electric) and it will hook into your temp sensor and give you the exact operating temp and you can watch it fluctuate, the stock guage gives no accurate #'s and can fluctuate 20*either way. Have you flushed your coolant system and refilled with a high concentration of coolant (60/40), if your guage continues to read hot after this i'm not sure what to check, you say the water pump is functioning, new sensors. Does your overflow tank get coolant in it?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:30 AM
fears
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

stock guages are known to be inaccurate, i would invest in an aftermarket temp guage (electric) and it will hook into your temp sensor and give you the exact operating temp and you can watch it fluctuate, the stock guage gives no accurate #'s and can fluctuate 20*either way. Have you flushed your coolant system and refilled with a high concentration of coolant (60/40), if your guage continues to read hot after this i'm not sure what to check, you say the water pump is functioning, new sensors. Does your overflow tank get coolant in it?
7upedition thanks for the reply man... ok ok ok......*if* i add an external propper gauge.ok. what are the readings i should go for... i mean.... like what is quarter and half then full? like.. 120F would be quarter.... and 210f would be half...... and ..... so on ???

cause if i didnt know the numbers i wouldnt know if would read hot.. or cold....
Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I am having the same problem, I have new radiator, new t-stat, and I am replacing the fan clutch tonight. Good luck, if I solve my issue, I will let you know what I found.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:28 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

get an aftermarket guage that reads 10's, i.e. 130, 140, 150,160 etc, up to 270, and you should run between 180 and 210*, 200 is considered normal
Old 08-09-2006, 12:32 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

I have the same problem and cant seem to figure it out. I know Im runing lean cause my spark plugs are white ish. I just ordered a new FPR and in line guage. Hopefully that will fix it. Ive everything you've done and then some. Im loosing coolant also. If the FPR doesnt solve it Im taking it in to a shop cause Im fed up.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Running lean will definitely cause higher temps, depending on how bad it is. If you have no pressure in your system, have you checked the cap? Is it using any coolant? I mean, when you check it, are you down at all?

The reason for the pressure in the system is to raise the boiling point of the coolant.
As an aside, have you ever seen water boil at room temperature in a beaker? Put it under vacuum in a bell jar. Well the pressure (being the opposite of vacuum) in your cooling system raises the boiling point.

- Jeff

Edit: The lean comment was meant for 5.0 MPG - I should have seperated the first sentence.