5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

street suspension upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

Default street suspension upgrades.

well i'm finally done with the motor (for now) and i'm looking into doing my suspension next. on my last fox i did eibach pro kit spings and kyb shocks and i was fully disappointed.

so i'm wonding what you guys think.

my thoughts for now were:

chassie bracing:
MM SFC (full length weld ons)
MM K member brace
MM strut tower brace

suspension:
eibach pro kit spring
Tokico Illumina (5 ways)
MM CC plates
upper/ lower contol arms???? haven't descided yet help!!!!
steeda bump steer kit

now keep in mind this is a complete street car that will most likely only see the track once a year. i'm also looking for it to beable to corner better too. let me know what you guys think.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: street suspension upgrades.

did you ever consider running a coil over?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

i did but it seemed over kill for a street set up + it's a little intimidating to install the k member/arms/ coil over kits, just reading the MM instructions made my head spin.

anyway what would you guys run in my position?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
93must
3rd Gear Member

I would go with all MM stuff! Why mix it up? They have great products! And I would go with the H&R springs with the bilsien struts and shocks! I love mine!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

x2 for H&R Bilstein, Tokico, Koni...any of those will be great...KYB isn't a bad upgrade from stock, but they don't handle like most people want for street.

Since your stang isn't a track car, look at UPR's HD U/L control arms or the Granetelli's....won't break the bank and are much better than the stockers.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
93TripleBlackLX
2nd Gear Member

I have the pro-kit and tokiko blue and I love it. Runs smooth as crap on highway.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I3atR!ce
3rd Gear Member

93must Date 8/10/2006 2:52:11 PM
I would go with all MM stuff! Why mix it up? They have great products! And I would go with the H&R springs with the bilsien struts and shocks! I love mine!
i was looking at the MM kits but they will definitely brake the bank.... i'm looking for something that will handle corners and launching but will be pratical on the street. i would definitely like to go with bilsien but there some where around 550 bucks for all 4 corners and i cant justify that.

x2 for H&R Bilstein, Tokico, Koni...any of those will be great...KYB isn't a bad upgrade from stock, but they don't handle like most people want for street.

Since your stang isn't a track car, look at UPR's HD U/L control arms or the Granetelli's....won't break the bank and are much better than the stockers.
why are H&R springs so good? i've heard alot about them but never used them?!?!?! and i'll definitely look into the URP U/L's.

thanks for the replies and keep them comin!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I3atR!ce

i was looking at the MM kits but they will definitely brake the bank.... i'm looking for something that will handle corners and launching but will be pratical on the street. i would definitely like to go with bilsien but there some where around 550 bucks for all 4 corners and i cant justify that. Check out brenspeed.com They have great prices and free shipping on the Tokico's

why are H&R springs so good? i've heard alot about them but never used them?!?!?! and i'll definitely look into the URP U/L's. Go to H&R's website. They exceed even the most stringent German insurance and safety standards which are higher than they are in the US. I've also never heard a bad thing about them. I know several people that complained about Eibach's sagging after a few years.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
94RoadRacerGT
2nd Gear Member

Although not a fox, but still close. I have the pro sys plus with KYB AGX adjstables, MM caster camber plates, panhard bar, k member brace, and short frame connectors, energy bushing kit, and hawk racing rear control arms, I also upgraded to 99 cobra arms up front but didnt notice too much on that. I drive canyons nearly everyday and I also run auto x and am working my way up to road racing, I still dont plan on swaping out my k member and coilovers just yet. You do lose about 30 lbs and can move your motor back about an inch, but IMO coilovers are mare $$$ in maintenance. Just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Every piece of suspension I've added has made a difference each time.

I have progressive low coils. (they're pretty hard on some Michigan roads!) I added HP Mega-Bite Jr's. Big difference! it really grips on the road race setting. The dragrace setting is to much if you like to turn fast. You'll just understeer into the ditch if you hammer it in a turn! Then I added poly axle bushings where the upper C arms connect to the axle. Noticed a little more. Made a Panhard bar. Awesome! Wish I did that long ago. Added poly front A arm bushings. Better still. I also have a FAT front swaybar. Got that from a buddy. It's zinc plated so it could be an HP piece. It's real fat. My Panhardbar balanced out the front roll stiffness. 'Handles alright if you ask me, and I still run 10 holes! I also have an airbag in the R rear coil, so it really doesn't get sideways when I spin the tires. Especially with the panhard bar.

The things I'd like to add are upper C arms. Still have the stocks! And some sub connectors. I think I might just run the HP's with the seat brackets. I'm not competing in the GT class! So I don't think I'll need to spend the loot on full lengths. Other than that, I'd like 4-wheel disc, and bigger wheels, and tires.