5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Popping during hard gear change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 AM
SN95Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Popping during hard gear change?

when i slam it into a gear my exhaust seems to pop. It sounds like a backfire. Lately it seems like i hav been losing some torque too. Is this unusual for tyhis pop sound? it is fine as long as i dont slam it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Popping during hard gear change?

....maybe its time to not abuse the ****ty t5 haah
Old 08-11-2006, 11:41 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

easy fix....

new driver that doesn't slam gears for no reason in a T5
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

The popping is probably your exhaust (if its a backfire). I bet some of the factory bolts have rusted away, and when youre gettin it really hard, it probably pulls apart. Did the car get louder? If you get a hole in the exhaust up by the front, that will cause you to lose torque. You need to get it up on a hoist and have it thoroughly checked out.
-P.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
SN95Stang
2nd Gear Member

Common now your driving a mustang you cant tell me u dont beat on it. Thats the fun of it break it and rebuild.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

How old are you? personnaly i dont have time to constantly break stuff for fun, because that costs $$$, and yes i work my toys hard but within the confines of there abilities, as you grow up you learn that wasting money isn't fun.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

An easy way to test for an exhaust leak is to start the car and have a couple buddies put there hands over your exhaust tips to basically "plug the up". If there is a leak, your exhaust will leak out of it letting you find quickly.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

An easy way to test for an exhaust leak is to start the car and have a couple buddies put there hands over your exhaust tips to basically "plug the up". If there is a leak, your exhaust will leak out of it letting you find quickly.

Good idea, now if they're isnt any leaking tell them to get their hands off of it. And dont stick anything up them because your going to blow a head gasket if you do, im sure we've all seen the 'stick a potato up the tailpipe' thing done.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

dude the same thing happend top me ...pops after every gear shift. ended up being that my timing wqas too high. and also it doesnt help that the air temp. her in south texas is an average 95 degrees. [8D]
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

HAHAHA, yeah no potatoes.
ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Good idea, now if they're isnt any leaking tell them to get their hands off of it. And dont stick anything up them because your going to blow a head gasket if you do, im sure we've all seen the 'stick a potato up the tailpipe' thing done.

Quick Reply: Popping during hard gear change?