5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

self proc;aimed dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:02 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

Default RE: self proc;aimed dumbass

Out here in afghanistan my contracting company runs a wrecker service for the military in and around our base. We've got a 25' rollback, a ford F650 wrecker, and a 1989 Oshkosh M984 HEMMT wrecker.
Any of you military guys know what i'm talking about and what a monster it is. a 500hp Detroit diesel (modified), 8 wheel drive, an 80 ton winch, and a 45 ton crane. It's UNstoppable, and a blast to drive. we had a hummer that the crew decided to take mudding in the old quarry at the north end of the base. Mind you this is an uparmored M1114 hummer that weighs about 15000 pounds. So they got STUCK. I got called out to pull it out of 3 ft deep mud. Shouldn't be a problem for the HEMMT i thought, hell the tires are 4 ft tall themselves. So i set up and got ready to pull out the hummer. dug the tow spades into the ground and hit the front parking brake. Attached the tow line to the brackets on the hummer and tightened the chain. problem was that i was in a hurry, and didn't check the hummer before i started pulling. I kept pulling, and even the HEMMT started straining. The hummer started to creak and grown...but it wouldn't budge out of the mud. I continued to pull....and finally it came loose....well the front half at least. Tore the whole bumper and front frame assembly from the truck. The flying winch cable snapped backwards and smashed into my rear tow bar assembly, tearing up the hydraulic lines. I ran back to the hummer to check all the damage.
Forgot to pull it out of park, and release the handbrake. The hummer with the flat bottom armor plate had a HUGe vacuum under it from the mud, so that wasn't helping either. Didn't get in too much trouble for that though.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
tikitz

I was goofing off with my buddy one weekend changing the oil on my "88 GT T-top. I drained the pan and he got the filter. We were getting late to leave for something, so, we topped off the oil and dropped the garage door, jumped in my truck and off we went. The next day, I climbed in the Mustang to leave for work and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
fired up the car and sat for a moment, the slight knocking didn't go away, so I popped open the door and looked underneath by pure instinct. Oh s**t, double gasket on the oil filter!!!! I knew I should have done that part myself, I have always checked for those. Cleaned up the oil and had to drive the truck that day because I needed to buy two more quarts of oil to top off the motor again!! That's the last and only time I have ever changed my oil and not followed my almost religious proceedure to the letter. What are the odds??
Old 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

my dumbass moment of the week... spending literally an hour trying to figure out why the hell my timing seemed WAAYY off and was jumping around. Couldn't see what the problem was or why I couldn't reset it. After an hour, I took my head out of my ***, shut the engine off, removed the spout connector, and fired her back up Problem solved.

It was a major Head Up *** moment for me. But I just blamed it on the medication, LoL. Taking pain meds for two fractured ribs so my head wasn't all there. Probably a bad time to mess with timing, I know. But it worked out in the end!