5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Instructions on changing clutch cable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Instructions on changing clutch cable?

Just wondering if someone could give me detailed instructions on changing my clutch cable. I already got the cable, and have located both ends of the old cable where they mount on the quadrant and tranny. So how exactly do I swap the new one in? How much do I need to lift the car? Also, should I lubricate the cable?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:28 AM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Instructions on changing clutch cable?

No don't lubricate the cable?
It doesn't connect to the tranny, it slids through a part on the bellhousing then connects to the clutchfork.
Unhook it from the quadrant and then unscrew the bolt that holds it down near the wheel well. Then let it loose from the clutchfork and bellhousing...you shouldn't need to lift it but a foot or so maybe...just enough for you to get to the bellhousing...it wouldn't be impossible for you to do it standing over the engine bay...you may not have to get under the car...you'll know what to do when you go out to look at it...its pretty simple
Old 08-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

You have to get under the car to release the cable from the fork. Thats the only way to reach it. As far as lubing the cable it probably wouldnt hurt to put a little bit of oil down it.

Also when you put teh new one in hook in on the clutch fork just a tad (nuts at end of screw) then put in on the quadrant then tighten the jamb nuts up then recheck to make sure the cable didtn come off the quadrant (if its aftermarket, not sure how teh stocker attaches).
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot fellas. I'll get on it at sun-up.