5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Motor install, headers on or off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Motor install, headers on or off??

I'm going to have to take off the drivers side header
Hate to say it...

But i told ya so....

Just leave the passenger side on and it'll be good to go.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
HungLikeATunaCan

What is it hitting? I've done it a dozen times without taking the headers off.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 PM
cocco78

the drivers side header was hitting on the steering... I took the steering shaft off and it was still hitting on the part of the steering that the shaft bolts to on the bottom.... Grrrr. I finally got it wrangled in there without taking the headers off. So now i'm looking at it and where the hell do I put the steering shaft back in??!! I guess it goes through the header tubes, although the instructions from Mac say nothing of the sort. It doesn't even mention the steering shaft at all...

So I get it all in and the double hump crossmember apparently doesn't work with a 4 speed. The trans mounts are to far forward by 1/4" TO 1/2" of an inch... Ok so I figure out the steering shaft and hook that up and it rubs on one of the header tubes when you turn the wheels. I have to reroute the fuel lines because they are pressed up against the headers... Guess I should have spent a little more and got something other than mac

I think i'm burnt out. Been working on this car every night afte work until almost midnight for the last 2 weeks to get it ready for labor day weekend.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cocco78

the drivers side header was hitting on the steering... I took the steering shaft off and it was still hitting on the part of the steering that the shaft bolts to on the bottom.... Grrrr. I finally got it wrangled in there without taking the headers off. So now i'm looking at it and where the hell do I put the steering shaft back in??!! I guess it goes through the header tubes, although the instructions from Mac say nothing of the sort. It doesn't even mention the steering shaft at all...

So I get it all in and the double hump crossmember apparently doesn't work with a 4 speed. The trans mounts are to far forward by 1/4" TO 1/2" of an inch... Ok so I figure out the steering shaft and hook that up and it rubs on one of the header tubes when you turn the wheels. I have to reroute the fuel lines because they are pressed up against the headers... Guess I should have spent a little more and got something other than mac

I think i'm burnt out. Been working on this car every night afte work until almost midnight for the last 2 weeks to get it ready for labor day weekend.

It does work? I have one on my 82 bc the old one rotted away it fits fine and I have that beast of a tranny 4 spd! you just have to *finess* it in
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
cocco78

oh trust me, I finessed it in there.... But there is a pretty decent difference between the 2 crossmembers. It should work just fine.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 PM
4eyedfreak
3rd Gear Member

ahahahahaha yeah its like i have done this before oo yeah i have!!! same old ****. Cross member should work because i have an 83 and i had a four speed and it worked fine.as for mac....haha yeah if they are the new style headers the shaft has to go through the header. If its the old style then it does not. I had the same problem. I then had to grind my stering sfat to make it stop hitting. I then had to weld some supports in because the grinding made it week. yeah i grinded that much. its a pain in the ***. i havbe my sfat that i go to work if you want it. I now have a full k and manual rack so im all good to go.