5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

OVERHEATING, tried Shop(s), done everything!!!!11

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 AM
fears
1st Gear Member

Default OVERHEATING, tried Shop(s), done everything!!!!11

ive replaced the thermostat once with a 160 degree thermostat and all new fluid. temp gauge moving towards 3/4 of the way to hot and no pressure in hose... i drained the system again and refilled it with right amount of fluid. filled it up and closed off cap.. when all was fine before the engine barely got past the cold line on the temp gauge. now the engine is nearly redlining and i have no pressure in the top radiator hose.. when i start driving.. a few hondred meters the gauge reads 3/4 and thats at night when its cool.. then when i stop the gauge reading stays still.. then after a few minutes cooles by half or a hair under half.. used to cool to 1/4 when idle... i cant for the life of me figure out what the problem is. im about ready to do/check/replace anything i havent already replaced..i dont think there is anything left.. there has to be something im missing but i cant figure it out. any ideas greatly appreciated?

please help me, i really dont want to sell the mustang...

before replies.. please read list below....
----------
Radiator = cleaned at a shop
----------
t-stat = replaced(it had a 160 so i replaced with same)
----------
Hoses = checked(no leaks - changed the litle one on the water pump going to t-stat housing)
----------
Radiator Cap = changed
----------
leaks = none
----------
loosing coolant = no
----------
temp Gauge = changed.. same reading - (then installed aftermarket gauge)
----------
Send units = changed
----------
head gaskets = when starting the motor.. i open the rad cap.. = no bubbles.. + no coolant missing
----------
fan = working good 2 speeds work..
----------
water pump = toke it out.. it wasnt leaking anyway.... check the inner fenders.. no weardown.. pump working good.. but i baught a new one and will install wich will make no difference cause old was working.

PS: engine was rebuilt about a year ago.. it has no mods but the air filter.... i have been using it for about 6 months.. and it has never touched the red line
Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OVERHEATING, tried Shop(s), done everything!!!!11

Run these tests, Radiator compression/leak down test, engine compression test, and engine cylinder leak down test.

TRY THIS FIRST ---- Also pull your thermostat back out and test it. I have also purchased a new thermostat in the past and it was defective causing overheating.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:15 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

I just had the same problem as you and it was my water pump. Mine didnt leak either and it spun fine but when I did spin it made a quackin noise which they arent surpose to make any noise. So it maybe still the pump change it and see
Old 08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
92redlx

Try replacing your lower hose, I replaced my therm, radiator, and still had a heating problem. The coolant was overflowing into the overflow and leaking out. I finally grabbed the lower hose and it was collapsed. Since I fixed that with a new one, no more problems.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

first get rid of that 160 and get a 180 mr gasket one..and I agree it's a bad water pump,or the rad is plugged up
Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

^ I agree with 2 quik, he is deff right. .ditch the 160 and get a 180... a 160 will not allow you car to reach operating temp making the comp believe it needs to warm up. thus making the car run too rich all the time.... the water pump is easy to change and not alot of money.. deffinitley do that 1st (my opinion)
Old 08-13-2006, 01:16 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i say check your damn timing!!!!...that 160 stat crap is a joke!....i have ran a 160 for 3yrs and have had no problems.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:51 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

the 160 degree thing i forgot to mession is depending on the climate you live in.. I live in the North East and up here where there is a cooler climate it is not a good idea to run that cool of the t-stat... if you were to live in the south or out west where is is constantly hotter it may be an idea.. sorry for the confusion!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

your forgiven
Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i run a 160 and have had no problems, theres no pressure in his top hose
it sound like more of a blockage problem

Quick Reply: OVERHEATING, tried Shop(s), done everything!!!!11