5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

timing question..

Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: timing question..

Nope, I dont have a adj.FPR, AND I just changed the plugs about a month ago and they looked pretty descent (as far as no build up)I havent checked the plugs since. BUT I WILL now for sure!! Do you think that a bad exhuast leak would throw it out of time?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:53 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

no, it wouldnt throw the timing off. Could cause you to burn an exhaust valve if its a really really bad leak though.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:01 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

thats what I'm afraid of I had a pretty bad one before I changed the gasket. The day before yesterday I put my 5.ho in the ditch (please dont ask how),but anyway it gave pass.side header some play in the bolts. And being that I had a helluva drive back (325mi.) they ende up vibrating out (ALL OF THEM)... But thats fixed now and Im wondering if I didnt burn an exhaust valve...Its pretty sickening man
Old 08-13-2006, 06:10 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oooo, the header was basically loose on the head you mean?
Thats not a good thing at all running the motor without the header bolts in.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

I know, thats why I said it was sickening. I babied her the best I could though. I dont think they were all out for all that long though (I'm hoping) because I found damn near all of em when I went to replace them. I didnt have much of a choice to make the Drive, But had I known that All Were Gone I wouldve just rented a F***ing Motel or somethin. But I really dont think that they were all gone until the last 60 miles or so...Wouldnt It be smoking if I bunt a valve though?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I know, thats why I said it was sickening. I babied her the best I could though. I dont think they were all out for all that long though (I'm hoping) because I found damn near all of em when I went to replace them. I didnt have much of a choice to make the Drive, But had I known that All Were Gone I wouldve just rented a F***ing Motel or somethin. But I really dont think that they were all gone until the last 60 miles or so...Wouldnt It be smoking if I bunt a valve though?
Um the only thing i can think of to do is to do a compression test. Just get a gauge and take the plugs out. By the way, detach the coil power, just a safety precausion. I had an uncle burn his damn garage down trying to purge his cylinders of gas after he flooded a truck motor out. Well he blew gas everywhere and it caught on fire.

But anyways, get a gauge and take the plugs out and plug the gauge into the spark plug hole and have somebody crank it, it should be between 140-160psi at cranking on all cylinders, if its low dude, it probably a burned valve. For the 2nd test, You can squirt some oil into the cylinder to seal the rings for a sec and do the same test, if the readings go up, it probably rings worn or something, but if it stays the same...its more than likely a valve burned. But, thats gotta suck to have had the header bolts come out.

How you run into a ditch?

I have to ask? Cause ive lost control of my stang a few times and ive been more than lucky to have not totaled it those few times, somebody was looking out for me. Ive ran into a ditch, barely missing a driveway culvert, the pipes under the driveways. Then one day i lost it racing a buddy and crossed into oncoming traffic while i was doing a 360* spin, thank god it was a 4 lane road and no cops were around, but that was the scariest thing ive had happen to me. Then another night i was showing my *** downtown and ended up doing a 180* across a concrete median, one of the low rise ones, i barely stopped in time for me not to smack a concrete wall on the other side of the median, needless to say i shagged *** out of there. But ive had my fair share of 'oh sh*t' moments.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
capnacee
2nd Gear Member

well I just got off work. I work out os state,(actually on a riverboat),but anyway A co-worker was with me and I was taking him to his truck... I was at a stop sighn and was gonna turn left when he made this comment"I bet this mother fuc*er will run wont it?", and I said "yeah she does o.k"....then as I was turning I nailed it,so of course she spun,....and spun...I countersteered...and she spun some more. I probly should of let off but being that I just got off the Boat(for 4weeks),and it gave me WOOD just feeeling the engine rumble and the tires squeel I DIDN'T. Well after I counter steered she went back the other way and my *** was in the same place my hood just was...anyway there just so happened to be a ditch right there and thats where she stopped spinning. the road wasnt tyo wide at all...Too make a long story short I should have known better.....Well You asked, and there it is..Like I said earlier it was sickening.

One good thing was I only fuc*ed up the foglight(Pass.side), and a lil paint off front spoiler...could have been alot worse (considering the front AND back spoiler were both touching Both sides of he ditch . I'm with you when you said"somebody was lookin out for me"...becuase this wasn't my first rodeo either. Its happened to me before in a Z-28.[:'(]